Thursday, April 24, 2008

Two Metaphor Poems

A few years ago, I began toying with the idea of writing a collection of short simile and metaphor poems that teachers might be able to use in the classroom to show students examples of ways poets use those figures of speech in their writing. I haven’t done much with the manuscript, It’s Like This, lately. Here are two examples of the metaphor poems I have written for the collection to date.


Galaxy
By Elaine Magliaro

Spun in space

A web of stars…

Fireflies caught

On the black silk

Of a summer night



At Sunset
By Elaine Magliaro

The sun is a golden coin

Slipping through the bright fingers of day

Into the dark pocket of night.



Click here to read some of the metaphor poems I wrote for one of Tricia Stohr-Hunt's Poetry Stretches and a link to a metaphor poem I wrote for one of Laura Salas's This Week's Photo/15 Words or Less Poems posts.

6 comments:

gail said...

I love your sunset poem Elaine. So simple, yet so visual.

gail

Charlotte said...

I like the sunset poem too, but Love the galaxy one! Ties in nicely with String Theory too, which is big in our house these days...

Anonymous said...

I really like these both, especially the galaxy poem because I love spiders so much.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Gail, Charlotte, and Jone,

Thanks for stopping by and commenting. I always like to hear reader's opinions about the poems I post here--and about their personal reactions to them. I must admit I don't know much about string theory. I wrote the galaxy poem because I love astronomy.

Vivian Mahoney said...

Your poems are lovely! ..."a web of stars" Love it!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Thanks, Vivian! I'm glad you like them.