Sunday, April 6, 2008

Quickie Quatrains

I thought I'd try writing some quickie quatrains for this National Poetry Month post. A quatrain is a poem of four lines. A quatrain may have a variety of rhyme schemes, including abcb, aabb, and abba.


Quickie Quatrains
by Elaine Magliaro

Flippered, flightless,
Fat with blubber,
The penguin is
A waterlubber.


Snow dropped by
And here am I
Catching flakes
Of falling sky.


Robins bobbing
On the lawn
Strut their stuff
Now winter’s gone.


A joey in his mother’s pouch
Is safe, well-fed, content.
He gets a free ride when inside
And never pays Mom rent.


Outer space is just the place
For extraterrestrials to race
In souped-up saucers, sleek and bright,
Faster than the speed of light.

OVERCROWDING

Martians? There aren’t any.
Earthlings? Way too many.
Especially in MY neighborhood.
I think I’ll move to Mars for good!

******************************
I'll be back later today to announce the winners of the two poetry books written by J. Patrick Lewis--Good Mousekeeping and Riddle-icious.



4 comments:

Linda said...

Elaine, your quatrains are fantastic. I always enjoy reading your poems.
Linda

Elaine Magliaro said...

Thanks, Linda! I'm putting your name in the basket for the drawing next Sunday. You may win a children's poetry book.

Michele said...

The last two made me laugh aloud !! :D

Elaine Magliaro said...

Michele,

How nice to have you stop by! I hope all is going well with your writing. Glad you enjoyed my "spacey" quatrains.