Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Food for Thought: Three Original Poems

Here are three poems I’ve written for Tricia’s Monday Poetry Stretch--Food for Thought.

Watermelon slice
I sink my teeth in
Savoring succulent flesh
Juice dribbling down my chin
Eating my way down
To a broad green grin


On my plate
a mountain of spaghetti
strewn with meatball boulders
oozing tomato lava
soon to be blanketed in a blizzard of cheese…

pass the Romano, please!



I bet you didn’t know that Jack--of beanstalk fame--used some of the gold he stole from the giant to open a bistro in Fairy Tale Town! Jack would like to describe one of the blue plate specials he serves daily.

Our fresh-picked beans are GIANT-size.
They come with golden eggs and fries,
Three bowls of moles and scaly skinks,
And fee-fi-fo-fum sausage links.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You need to put together a collection of food poems, Elaine--and send it out!

Jules at 7-Imp said...

Ooh la la. You could expand that Jack poem into an entire verse novel about Fairy Tale Town!

Jules, 7-Imp, who is suddenly hungry

Elaine Magliaro said...

Janet,

Writing poems about food comes naturally to me...because I love to eat!


Jules,

That "Jack" poem was intended for inclusion in "Excerpts from the Fairy Tale Files," a collection of humorous fairy tale poems I have been working on for more than ten years.