Tuesday, April 1, 2008

A Taste of Poetry

I just went shopping at The Poets’ Pantry and got a few ingredients in preparation for cooking up some lip-smacking language, savory similes, and munchable metaphors during April, the month dedicated to the most delicious literary genre—poetry.

In the words of Shakespeare: "What's in a name? that which we call a rose/By any other name would smell as sweet." But I’d like to opine that a rose by any other name may not sound as sweet. So…before I went shopping, I wrote up my list of things to get in metaphorical language. Here’s what I shopped for at the pantry—some "foods" for thought that, I hope, sound as good as they “say.”


POET’S SHOPPING LIST
  • A basket of beaded hearts
  • Five pounds of small brown boulders
  • A pint of plump purple pearls
  • A sack of sweet snow
  • A box of icy green beads
  • A bag of candied clouds
  • A pound of ripe, round rubies
  • A package of pale potato moons
  • A bunch of hollow green spears
  • Six sugared circles of deep-fried dough

Can you guess everything I picked up at the pantry?

Remember this:
When eating poetry—
it’s best to dig right in…
to let the sounds of words
roll off your tongue
and dribble down your chin.

Here are three poems for you--one with directions for making a loaf of poetry, one with advice about how to eat a poem, and one about eating poetry.

A Loaf of Poetry by Naoshi Koriyama

How to Eat a Poem by Eve Merriam

Eating Poetry by Mark Strand


Check out my post In Celebration of National Poetry Month to find out what I have in store for you at Wild Rose Reader during the month of April—and to find out how you can win a children’s poetry book.

Cloudscome has provided links to blogs with special plans for National Poetry Month at A Wrung Sponge.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I'll give it a try:

* A basket of beaded hearts--I'M STUCK ON THIS ONE!
* Five pounds of small brown boulders --SACK OF POTATOES?
* A pint of plump purple pearls--PINT OF GRAPES
* A sack of sweet snow--SUGAR!
* A box of icy green beads--FROZEN PEAS?
* A bag of candied clouds--MARSHMALLOWS?
* A pound of ripe, round rubies--TOMATOES?
* A package of pale potato moons--POTATO CHIPS
* A bunch of hollow green spears--CELERY?
* Six sugared circles of deep-fried dough--DOUGHNUTS

Elaine Magliaro said...

Kristy,

Thanks for trying to figure out my shopping list. You got six answers correct. Here are the three you answered incorrectly in addition to a basket of beaded hearts:

- a pint of plump purple pearls
- a pound of ripe round rubies
- a bunch of hollow green spears.

I would say that grapes and tomatoes definitely COULD be answers to my metaphorical descriptions, though!

I'll add your name to the drawing for a free children's poetry book.

Charlotte said...

Hi Elaine,

Happy Poetry Month, and thanks for the fun with metaphors! The beaded hearts are perhaps strawberries? and the green spears green onions? Would the rubies be cherries? and the purple pearls be blueberries?

Elaine Magliaro said...

Charlotte,

You got the rest! You and Kristy are wide awake this first day of April. I'll add your name to the drawing. Thanks for stopping by today.

gail said...

I'm never wide awake in the morning, which is why it's a good time to read blogs. I need my brain to warm up awhile before I get to work. I always find some inspiration here.

What cool poetry books you've given a sneak peek at! Just by looking at the little thumbnail covers I'm smitten and off to find out more about "All by Herself" and who illustrated it.

Thanks,
gail

Anonymous said...

WOO! What a fun month it'll be here!

Greg Pincus said...

Happy blogoversary, Elaine! And here's to many more....

Elaine Magliaro said...

Gail,

I wrote a review of ALL BY HERSELF for Women's History Month. You might win it--or another poetry book--in Sunday's drawing.


Jules,

I hope it'll be a fun month of poetry here at Wild Rose Reader--and that I find time to do everything I hope to do during April.


Gregory,

It's hard to believe a whole year has passed since I launched Wild Rose Reader. Thanks for the good wishes!