Saturday, April 19, 2008

How to Bring Spring: An Original Poem

We have finally had some truly fine spring weather here in my neck of the woods. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get out for a brisk walk and enjoy the sunshine and warm air. I have had pleurisy and my ability to breathe normally isn't what it should be...so I thought I'd write about spring in a poem instead.


How to Bring Spring
By Elaine Magliaro

Wash away clouds of gray.
Paint the sky the color

of shadows on snow,
lightly brush it

with strokes of wispy white.
Polish the sun until it shines
like a newly-minted coin.
Summon a bunch of bobbing robins.
Wrap forsythia bushes
in bright yellow boas.
Daub garden beds
with pink and purple polka dots.
Stitch silky apple blossoms
to bare brown branches.
Tell tulips and daffodils to muster

and stand at attention.
Wake spring peepers

from their winter sleep.
Let daylight linger

before the shadow of night arrives.

No comments: