Saturday, April 5, 2008

Recap of the First Week of National Poetry Month at Wild Rose Reader

WIN A CHILDREN'S POETRY BOOK!!!

REMINDER: Leave a comment at any of my posts at Wild Rose Reader dated April 1st through April 5th and I will include your name in a drawing to win a children’s poetry book. The drawing will take place tomorrow, April 6, 2008. I have two poetry books as prizes for this week: Good Mousekeeping and Other Animal Home Poems and Riddle-icious. Both books were written by the fabulous J. Patrick Lewis—and both books are now out of print!


GOOD MOUSEKEEPING AND OTHER ANIMAL HOME POEMS
Written by J. Patrick Lewis
Illustrated by Lisa Desimini
Atheneum, 2001


This book contains short, rhyming, humorous poems that will surely bring smiles to the faces of children and adults alike. Lisa Desimini’s mixed media illustrations support and enhance Lewis’s clever text, which includes plenty of wordplay.

Here’s one of the poems from the book:

Oh, where would a Flamingo go?
She’d go to a Flamingolow,
A flaming hot pink bungalow
Beside the steamy jungle-o.


RIDDLE-ICIOUS
Written by J. Patrick Lewis
Illustrated by Debbie Tilley
Alfred a. Knopf, 1996


What could be more fun than sharing a book full of J. Patrick Lewis’s riddle rhymes with a group of young children? I used this book in my elementary classroom. I’d read the riddle rhymes aloud without showing my students the illustrations. My students enjoyed listening to the clues and trying to provide the correct answers to the riddles. (Note: The answer to each riddle is written backwards at the bottom of every page.)

Here’s an example of one of Lewis’s riddle rhymes:

His back is wide
Enough to ride.
His nose is fun—
A long squirt gun.
His ears, perhaps,
Are giant flaps.
The teeth you see
Are ivory

Click here to read my interview with J. Patrick Lewis, the talented author of these two poetry books.


Recap of the First Week of National Poetry Month at Wild Rose Reader

April 1A Taste of Poetry and Happy Blogday to Wild Rose Reader
April 2Puddle Muddle: A Spring Poem and Another Computer Crisis
April 3Haiku: One Breath Poetry (winter haiku written by a class of fourth grade students I worked with during the winter of 2003)
April 4Interview with Children’s Poet J. Patrick Lewis
April 5April: An Original Spring Acrostic


Elsewhere in the Kidlitosphere

Bloggers Who Are Posting Original Poems Every Day during National Poetry Month
Cloudscome at A Wrung Sponge
Gregory K. at GottaBook
Marianne Nielsen at Doing the Write Thing


Poetry in the Classroom: Tricia is doing daily posts during the month of April about connecting other books to poetry and using poetry in education across the curriculum at The Miss Rumphius Effect.

The World’s Greatest: Poems
Concrete Poems
Animal Senses
A World of Wonders

5 comments:

Tricia said...

Hi Elaine,
Thanks so much for linking to my posts for the week. When I decided to do this, I forgot I had a conference this week, so I had to take poetry books with me! (This was not a bad thing, actually.)

I love the work of J. Patrick Lewis, (loved your interview, by the way, and liked to it in my Friday post), as you can see by the fact that I profiled two of his books this week.

I've enjoyed your posts this week and can't wait to see what's next!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Tricia,

I think they're great posts for teachers. You've had a conference--and I'm dealing with another computer problem. Fortunately, I have my old desktop computer to work on. I'm going to get myself a new laptop. Got any recommendations?

I don't know how Pat Lewis writes all those books. I, too, love his work.

Anne Marie said...

Thanks so much for your great recommendations! I really appreciate them.

Tricia said...

I'm sorry about your computer problems. I hope you didn't lose anything. I'm a longtime Mac user, so I'm hard pressed to recommend anything else. I have tried both desktop and laptop PCs, but they weren't for me. I just think Macs are so much friendlier. If you are using Word to write, platform won't matter. I hope you find something you like.

By the way, I sent you an e-mail about the great conversations about poetry on the CCBC listserv. Let me know if you want me to send them to you.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Tricia,

Thanks for your computer advice. My husband has been trying to convince me to get a Mac. He's planning to get one for himself.