Monday, April 14, 2008

Recipe Poem: How to Make a Morning

Stacey of Two Writing Teachers has invited people to participate in A One Week Poetry Challenge. Saturday was Day 1 of 8. In her post on April 12th, she wrote about recipe poems. I had also written about recipe and how to make… poems at Wild Rose Reader last week. You can read my two posts here and here.

I was up early today. (I would like to note that we haven’t seen much sun around here since spring arrived.) I was sipping my cup of coffee this morning as light streamed into the den. That’s when I was inspired to write a recipe poem. Here it is:


Recipe Poem: How to Make a Morning
By Elaine Magliaro

Melt a galaxy of stars
in a large blue bowl.
Knead the golden sun

and let it rise in the East.
Spread the sky

with a layer of lemony light.
Blend together

until brimming with brightness.
Fold in dewdrops.
Sprinkle with songbirds.
Garnish with a chorus

of cock-a-doodle-doos.
Set out on a platter at dawn
and enjoy.

9 comments:

Tricia said...

This is lovely. I hope your mornings these days are full of the sights and sounds of spring and not the fluffy white stuff.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Tricia,

Thanks! It was so good to see the sun this morning. It hasn't been snowing of late--but it's been really gray and drizzly here.

Erin said...

Oh, I absolutely love that!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Thanks, Erin! There's nothing like a little sunshine after a spate of gray, rainy days to inspire poetry.

Anonymous said...

That is really lovely.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Thanks, Jules. Sometimes seeing the sun after a long spell of cloudy days can get a person excited enough to write a poem.

Anonymous said...

Sprinkle with songbirds indeed. I was awakened quite early to the call of the "chickadee-dee-dee" and someone calling "teacher teacher." What a lovely poem, Elaine.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Thanks, Kelly! I hope you're enjoying your stay in New Hampshire. My daughter went to Saint Anselm College in Manchester. Believe it or not--it snowed the day she graduated in May of 2002!

Greg Pearce said...

Beautiful - I was looking for a recipe poem to read to my class of 9 and 10 year olds and found this one. The silence at the end as I read it was amazing. Thank you for sharing, and motivating in turn!