Thursday, April 17, 2008

Ring/Drum/Blanket Poems by Tricia & Cloudscome

Two more talented kidlit bloggers, Tricia of The Miss Rumphius Effect and Cloudscome of A Wrung Sponge, have written ring/drum/blanket poems.

A Ring/Drum/Blanket Poem
By Tricia Stohr-Hunt

Gunfire
rings out,
day
after day.

Long settled in,
War's heavy blanket
smothers
the drumbeat of
freedom.

You can read the rest of Tricia’s post here.

Cloudscome decided to write a ring/drum/blanket poem in the form of a kyrielle. Tricia had challenged people to write kyrielles for her Monday Poetry Stretch this week.

You can read Cloudscome’s kyrielle here.

Thanks to Tricia and Cloudscome for sharing their fabulous poems.

*************************

Click here to read Kelly R. Fineman’s ring/drum/blanket poem, Inside the Fairy Ring.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tricia: after I read your poem I thought of the phrase "no words wasted." You were able to convey so much with so few words!

Cloudscome: Elaine's link didn't work for me so I visited your blog and read your poem. "First the flower, then the leaf": your words will surely pop into my mind many times this spring. You did such a terrific job within the constraints of such a difficult form.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Janet & Cloudscome,

I fixed the link.

Thanks for commenting on all the ring/drum/blanket poems, Janet.

Tricia said...

Want to know how to induce panic in a writer? Leave her a note and tell her that Janet Wong has commented on her poem!

Thanks for letting me know, Elaine.

Janet, you are too kind. A few weeks ago I read something a blogger wrote about Lee Bennett Hopkins saying that the words "the" and "and" were the dirty words of poetry. I haven't been able to look at my poems in the same way since. When this poem started, I'd written "the blanket of war" several times. It took me days to fix it. It should have been so simple, but I just didn't see it.

Thanks again to both of you for the great challenge.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Lord Have Mercy. Thank you Janet for taking the time to read and comment! I am flying sky high today. Fridays CANT get any better...