Saturday, April 7, 2007

A Poem a Day #7

Today’s poem is for Kelly at Big A, little a. I don’t know how Kelly does all the things she does. She must be taking some magical megavitamins! She helped bring us the Cybils and The Edge of the Forest--and the extensive blogroll at Big A, little a is how I came to know of so many other wonderful kidlit blogs. Thanks, Kelly!


FOR SALE: FAIRY TALE ARTIFACT
by Elaine Magliaro

My magic mirror is for sale.
It’s such an awful tattletale!
It told me things about my foe
I’d really rather never know.
I MUST be fairest in the land…
Not second best! You understand?
I want to be the most divine.
My reputation’s on the line!

The seven dwarfs are little cretins!
They should be in the dungeon, beaten.
They foiled my plans to kill the lass.
So…now I’ll sell my looking glass
And spend the cash on wrinkle cream,
A nose job, and a health regime,
Two weekends at a beauty spa.
Then I’ll look like a movie star.

I’ll be the fairest in the land!
And Snow White? She can go pound sand!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Elaine, I love your poems. This one is especially funny - I love that last line.

Anonymous said...

Very funny, Elaine. Reminded me of Anne Sexton's take on Cinderella in some ways, and that can only be a good thing.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Thanks, Eisha!

Kelly,

I've got a whole collection of humorous fairy tale poems I wrote about a dozen years ago. Maybe...someday...I'll send out the manuscript. Thanks for putting me in the same "gilded coach" with Anne Sexton--and thanks for the link to her poem.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comment at my blog! I wanted to read your posts on my LJ friends list so I syndicated your blog at LJ: http://wildrosereader.livejournal.com. Wanted to let you know, in case you wanted to have the link available for other LJ users like myself.

I'm enjoying your daily poems!

Kelly said...

Excellent poem, Elaine! (I finally got blogger to work and made it over here.) I love that the Queen gets the last laugh :)

I can't believe you dedicated it to me. Many thanks!