Friday, April 27, 2007

A Poem a Day #27

My poem Yellow Days got me to thinking about the “golden” days of summer. I must admit that summer isn’t my favorite season. I hate when our weather here gets hot and sticky. It’s hard for me to concentrate on anything but the HEAT and HUMIDITY!

But children and teachers love summer because it means school vacation and lots of freedom to spend their days as they please. So today my poem is for all of my former students and all of the outstanding teaching colleagues, librarians, other staff, and parents that I worked with over the years (1968-2004) at the Bell School.


COOL POOL
by Elaine Magliaro

The sun beats down.
It sears.
It scorches.
Sweating neighbors sit on porches
Sipping ice-cold lemonade
Waiting for the day to fade.
BUT
When I’m hot as steaming tea,
I stand beneath our maple tree,
Remove my sneakers, socks…and wade
Into a cool green pool of shade.



POETRY LINKS
Why I Love to Write in Rhythm and Rhyme by Jean Marzollo
Poetry and Literacy by Glenna Sloan
The Power of Poetry by Lee Bennett Hopkins

4 comments:

Tricia said...

Morning Elaine!
I love this poem. I too hate hot and humid, though I can't escape it much here. Summer has never been my favorite time of year. Give me spring or fall any day.
Regards,
Tricia

gail said...

I love the ending! I could just feel the coolness of the grass on the bottom of my feet.

gail

Vivian Mahoney said...

What a refreshing poem. Lovely. Thanks also for the laugh with The Worm over at The Blue Rose Girls.

Anonymous said...

I love this and will save it for our first 100-degree day...