Sunday, April 1, 2007

A Poem a Day #1

I thought Gregory K. at GottaBook had a super idea for National Poetry Month: He's going to post an original poem every day of April! I decided I would do the same thing here at Wild Rose Reader. May the muses be with us!

I thought I would provide a link to my Poetry Friday post "Gearing Up for National Poetry Month" at Blue Rose Girls. In the post, I included lots of links to websites with resources for teachers, homeschoolers, and anyone else who happens to love poetry.


My Poem for April 1st
I asked my husband to select the poem he thought I should post today. He picked two. I decided to post Honeybee. You'll see the other one he selected tomorrow.


HONEYBEE
by Elaine Magliaro


I’m buzzing here; I’m buzzing there.
I’m visiting the flowers where
I sip the syrup, thick and sweet,
And powder my six little feet.

I’m fuzzy here; I’m fuzzy there.
I like the fuzzy suit I wear.
It’s yellow, black, and trimmed to fit
And has flight wings attached to it!

A stinger’s fixed on my rear end—
A weapon so I can defend
Against intruders who would take
The sunny honey that I make

And seal inside a waxy comb
And store for winter in my home.
I’m busy…busy every day
In spring and summer. I don’t play…

Just do the duties that I must:
Collecting nectar, pollen dust,
And guarding my sweet food and hive.
But, still, it’s great to be alive!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Super cute poem, Elaine!

Nancy said...

YAY! Glad to see you up and running!