Thursday, April 5, 2007

A Poem a Day #5

Today's poem is for Gregory K. at GottaBook. He's the blogger who had the idea of posting a poem every day during the month of April. I decided to follow his lead. It's been good for me to exercise my poetry writing muscles by revisiting and "tweaking" some of my old moldering poems that had been stashed away for years in dozens of folders in different drawers, cabinets, and bins all over my house.


THE EELECTRIC CHEF

The eel is slinky, sleek, unseen.
She’s devious and serpentine.
She hides in caves where water’s deep
And coyly feigns the soundest sleep.

But should an unsuspecting prey
Go swimming by, the eel will slay
The sorry chap with one sharp jolt
From her own homemade lightning bolt.

It’s such a shocking sight to see
Her cooking prey EELectric’ly
I’d hate to be a passerby

That eel decides she’s wants to fry!


My hat's off to Gregory K. for all his great Oddaptations and Fibs!

2 comments:

Greg Pincus said...

Thanks for the hat tip, Elaine. I'm loving your poems, and as I've noted before, I have already learned so much about poetry and poetry books and using poetry and... and... from you, so I'm thrilled you're part o' the kidlitosphere!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Gregory,

It's fun to have someone else in the kidlitosphere who also enjoys writing poems just for the fun--or challenge--of it. I hope the poetry well doesn't run dry before the end of April!