Thursday, April 26, 2007

A Poem a Day #26

We finally had some glorious days of fair and really springy weather here in Massachusetts. A few fine days interspersed amid weeks of cool, cloudy, misty, rainy weather are times to treasure...are better than a bag of gold--or even a box of bittersweet chocolates! With the sun shining down on me Monday as I sat out on my back deck for the first time this year, I felt enveloped in the warm yellow rays of the sun. Yellow, yellow, yellow days had arrived at last! It was mahvelous—as a true Bostonian might say. Ah, if only that spell of lovely weather had lingered!

Here is a poem for Grace Lin…a friend who is like a ray of sunshine. To Grace…who can make a cloudy day seem bright!


YELLOW DAYS
by Elaine Magliaro

Shower in the April sun.
Shower in the light,
Streaming down on yellow days.
Stand out in the pouring rays.

Like butter on a toasty bun,
Let the sunlight melt and run
In golden rivers on your skin.
Feel it glowing deep within.
Feel the gentle touch of spring.
Feel the warmth that April brings.

Shower in the pouring rays
Streaming down on yellow days.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely poem, Elaine!

I am so impressed with what you're doing here. With the quality and variety of your poems, the mastery of rhythm, rhyme, and imagery--and the way you're posting something new every day. All you editors out there: I think Elaine could put together three books with the stuff she's published here at her blog! Sign her up!!

Grace most definitely is like sunshine on a cloudy day...

Elaine Magliaro said...

Janet,

Thanks for the lovely comments about my poetry. I guess I'll have to fry up some more potato pancakes and Fed-Ex them to you!

gail said...

Lovely poem is right. And Grace sounds like a lovely friend.

I can't imagine not getting to sit outside for such a long time. For me one day without the sun is more than I can take. I can really relate to your "yellow, yellow, yellow days". It's my color of the month! I don't know if I can do links in a "reply" but I'm giving it a try.

gail
http://gailmakiwilson.blogspot.com/2007/04/color-of-month-yellow.html

Grace Lin said...

this is the nicest, sweetest thing anyone has ever written for me. Your poetry is really beautiful. Thanks so much, Elaine.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Janet, Gail, and Grace--

I'm glad you liked the poem. I wasn't sure the ending worked. I kept changing the ending.

Gail,

I did see your post about "yellow."
I am hoping some day to visit Arizona and New Mexico. I've been told the desert can be beautiful in the springtime.

gail said...

Elaine,

When you make it out west be sure to look me up, and I'll be sure to give you a guided tour!

gail