Tuesday, April 17, 2018

THREE NIGHT POEMS FOR CHILDREN


I worked on a collection of night poems for weeks last year. I could never shape it into what I wanted it to be--even though I tried hard. Sometimes, when I try too hard, my poems seemed forced. I had to put the collection away. Maybe I will work on it again one day. Here are three poems from two different versions of my collection of bedtime poems:

END OF DAY

Sun slid down the western sky

as weary Day bid goodbye.

Then Dark crept in on velvet toes

after sleeping Night arose.



PICTURE WINDOW

My window frames a patch of sky
where I can watch stars passing by
and see the full moon’s beaming face
smile down on me from outer space.

 
CITY NIGHT
When sun has gone,
my city puts her jewels on--
a necklace of electric lights
that glitter and glow.
My city sparkles from head to toe!
***************


REMINDER: I am giving away signed copies of my book THINGS TO DO during National Poetry Month. I will collect the names of people who have commented on my blog posts each week in April and put them in a bag. Next Sunday, I will draw a name from the bag of someone who commented on a post that I published during the week of April 8-14.
Drawing dates: April 22, 29, 30.

 

1 comment:

Glenda Funk said...

Your poetry is comforting.