Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Spring Sings with Yellow: Two Original Poems

I was trying to figure out what my poetry post would be today. I’ve been really busy lately with a couple of writing projects, making arrangements for our reading council’s spring dinner meeting in mid May, and with plans for my daughter’s upcoming bridal shower and her wedding this summer.

I went looking through my poetry manuscripts to see if I could find a “bright” spring poem. It’s really gray and chilly where I live today. Spring seems to be in hiding…again. I decided to post a poem that would brighten my day. I selected POLLEN from my unpublished collection Spring into Words: A Season in Acrostics. Reading POLLEN inspired to me to write another “yellow” poem for the season. My new “yellow” poem is still in its rough draft stage.


Powder
Of life. Yellow…
Like lantern light,
Like butter on bread, like the yolk of an
Egg, like a nugget of gold…or a
New star born of cosmic dust.


Spring sings with yellow—
Daffodils trumpet the color in a world growing green
Forsythia bushes explode into golden clouds
Dandelions light our lawn like little suns
Daisies flaunt their pollen-powdered faces…
Everywhere I look
Yellow is singing out its bright song.

5 comments:

Amy L V said...

'Powder of Life' - Wow!
I love that.
A.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Thanks, Amy! I like getting feedback on my poems.

jama said...

Thanks for the yellow cheer today!
I especially like those daisies with their pollen-powdered faces :). Of course the butter on the bread and yolk of an egg goes without saying . . .

Looking for the Write Words said...

Elaine,

Your words capture the essence of the power of yellow for me. I love "the daisies flaunting their pollen-powdered faces."

Thank you for inspiring me!
~Theresa

Bridget R. Wilson said...

I just love reading your poems, Elaine. They are so vibrant. Keep up the composing!