Tuesday, April 6, 2010

FORSYTHIAS: An Original Poem


There is so much “poetry goodness” going on in the kidlitosphere this month! I can’t keep up with all of the wonderful poetry postings. I’m not as organized as many of the other bloggers. I didn’t make any grand plans for April. I’m just kind of "poetry-ing" it by the seat of my pants this year.

I have been working on original poems to post here during National Poetry Month. Some of the poems I post may not be in their final draft stage. I’ve already written and posted a poem about daffodils and a daisy acrostic this April. Today, I thought I’d stay with a flower theme. Here’s an early draft of a poem about forsythias.


Forsythias
by Elaine Magliaro

One morning
they unexpectedly
burst into bloom
and sprouted gold.
April used her Midas touch
and turned a gray day
into a surprise celebration
for spring.

********************
One of my favorite blogs is Andromeda Jazmon’s A Wrung Sponge. Andi takes beautiful photographs and writes lovely haiku. She will be posting a "haiga" (haiku and photo) there every day in April.

In April of 2007, Andi was kind enough to give me permission to post some of her photographs at Wild Rose Reader. Her pictures had inspired me to write several haiku. Click here to see that haiku post.

4 comments:

Bridget R. Wilson said...

Another great "Springy" poem, Elaine! I so enjoy reading your original poetry. You put me back in a poetry writing mood. But how, I wonder, do you pronounce forsythias?

Elaine Magliaro said...

Bridget,

I live noth of Bohston--but I don't pahk my cah in Hahvahd Yahd. And I probably don't pronounce "fuhsythiahs" the way most people do!

apple blossom said...

I went over and visited Andromeda Jazmon's haiku's lovely.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Elaine this is really lovely! Our forsythia is in bloom too and I just love watching the sunlight fill those cups with gold.

Thanks for the kind words and links to my blog. You are an inspiration to me!