Saturday, April 4, 2009

A Rocket Poem Three Ways


Try this: Write a poem about something. Then write about the same thing in another type of poem. I first wrote an acrostic about a rocket blasting into space. Then I thought I’d reword it and write about the rocket in a “things to do” list poem. Both poems were written over a year ago. Here they are:

Roaring

Off the launch pad in a

Cloud of smoke,

Kicking off its invisible tether to

Earth, it blasts into space, blazing a

Trail, searing the sky with its fiery tail.





Things to Do If You Are a Rocket

Roar off the launch pad

in a cloud of smoke,

kick off your invisible tether to Earth,

blast into space, blazing a trail,

searing the sky with your fiery tail.


Yesterday afternoon, I had mask poems on my mind—so I thought I’d write a mask poem on the same subject—and let the rocket do the talking!

Rocket Talk

I’m waiting on the launch pad…
Revving my engines,
Listening for the countdown.
Ten, nine, eight…
I hear a voice shout: “Blast Off!”
I’m ready! I’m smokin’!
SNAP! I break my Earthly bond.
Watch me! Here I go
Blasting up into the atmosphere.
Can you see me searing the sky
With my fiery tail?
Can’t wait to pierce
The planet’s blue skin
With my nose cone,
Burst into space,
And see stars shining
In the middle of the morning.
Man in the Moon, here I come!!!

7 comments:

Tricia said...

I love these! And even better, this sounds like a great idea for when I'm stuck with my writing. I'm going to revisit some poems and see if I can't make the subject sing in another way.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Tricia,

I thought it might be interesting to see if a poem might be better written in a different form or from a different perspective.

I think I'm going to revisit some of my old moldering poems too.

Linda said...

This is a terrific idea! Hopefully, I'll have some time on spring break to try it. So much sadness going on with my mother right now, it might be a nice break to write about an object instead of people. : )

Elaine Magliaro said...

Linda,

So sorry to hear about your mother. I do find that writing poetry during difficult times has served as a kind of therapy for me.

Marinela said...

This is really great idea!
Thank you!

Elaine Magliaro said...

You're welcome, Marinela.

Anonymous said...

Oh! What a great post! Thanks for ur hard job ist, i'd like to introduce my UGG Boots for u, I'm the new one selling the Cheap UGG Boots, please follow the link if you need UGGs, hope this wont trouble u much!