Monday, April 20, 2009

Asteroids: Two Original Poems

Here are two poems on the subject of asteroids. The first is an acrostic; the second is a free verse poem, which you may interpret as you will.


A band of old buddies

Sticking together through the years.

Too small to be planets,

Each one a world apart,

Rocky and lifeless,

Orbiting

In unison,

Dancing a ring around the

Sun.



Asteroids

Tiny planets
together in a cosmic kindergarten
holding hands in a circle
playing ring around the sun

yearning to grow up
and have orbits of their own.




Both my husband and I are astronomy buffs. We sometimes take our large telescope on vacation with us. I thought I’d provide links to some websites and posts on the subject of space science. It seems most fitting since 2009 has been designated the International Year of Astronomy.

2 comments:

Linda said...

Tiny planets
together in a cosmic kindergarten

I love how poets see things in new ways!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Linda,

I think that's the fun of writing poetry--trying to look at things in new ways...and with fresh eyes.