Thursday, April 16, 2009

Help Poet Kristine O'Connell George Welcome "Bo" to the White House with Poetry

Kristine O’Connell George’s Little Dog Welcomes Bo


Award-winning children’s poet, Kristine O’Connell George, and Little Dog invite children to celebrate National Poetry Month and the arrival of Bo in the White House by sharing poetry about their favorite canine friends.


Here’s an excerpt from the mask poem Kristine wrote from Bo’s perspective:

Bo, First Dog
…from under the desk in the Oval Office

Psssttt! Can you guess
who’s tucked under here,
scratching outhis political career?

I am!

Hidden in my top
secret location,
I’m enjoying some
canine recreation--

You can read the rest of George's poem here.

All About Writing a Poem to Welcome Bo
Students in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th grade are invited to write mask poems to welcome Bo, the first family’s new puppy. Learn more here.

NOTE: Kristine O'Connell George plans to post as many of the poems and original drawings submitted to her as possible at a special page on her website.


3 comments:

Linda said...

What a great idea! I wish middle school was included. Thanks for letting us know about it. I haven't been to her website for a while and need to check it out.

Anonymous said...

Bo must be on many of our minds this week. I just posted a double dactyl in honor of his arrival on my site. I'll share this news about the mask poems with my young friends.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

This is so fun! I will have to pass this on to our teachers and students.