Wednesday, May 23, 2007

The Foundation for Children's Books Annual Meeting 2007

This will be a quick post because I have to sit myself down and write welcoming remarks for tonight’s spring meeting of the Massachusetts PAS North Shore Council of IRA and an introduction for Mary Ann Hoberman—who is going to be the featured speaker. Mary Ann is one of my favorite poets…and a topnotch presenter. I am really looking forward to seeing and hearing her again!

Last night I attended the Annual Meeting of The Foundation for Children’s Books at Boston College. It was also the last session of the Conversations with…series, New England Voices, which highlights the new work of area authors and illustrators. Last night we heard Mitali Perkins, Jamie Harper, and Jacqueline Davies read from their most recent books.


Anna Alter, Judy O'Malley of Charlesbridge, & Mitali Perkins

Mitali read an excerpt from RICKSHAW GIRL. She also gave us a rundown of the kind of presentation she does at middle schools. I have no doubt that she’s a smash hit at every school where she presents. She’s personable, funny, and full of life.
Jamie Harper read her humorous picture book MISS MINGO AND THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL. She told us a truly funny story about a school visit, a tarantula, and her arachnophobia.

Jamie Harper Signing Books

Jacqueling Davies read her new picture book THE HOUSE TAKES A VACATION and an excerpt from THE LEMONADE WAR. Not only that—Jacqueline even brought along her famous lemonade stand…at which she did her book signing. What an ingenious marketing idea!!!


Now that I've figured out how not to take blurry pictures...I think I need to working on lighting. I guess I'll just have to READ THE MANUAL!!!

2 comments:

Anna Alter said...

It was a lovely evening! Looking forward to another night of book fun with Mary Ann tonight. What a book filled week!

mbpbooks said...

Thanks so much for the encouragement, Elaine, and it was so great to meet you live! I needed this because for some reason I felt like my whole talk was as flat as a Diet Coke that you start drinking in the morning and sip all day long (I have a can right here).