Thursday, May 17, 2007

And the Winner Is...

Poetry lover Laura Purdie Salas, one of the Wordy Girls and a poet herself, is the winner of a book that will be signed next week by the children’s author who is going to be the featured speaker at the spring meeting of the Massachusetts PAS North Shore Council of IRA. (You can read more about it here.) Laura correctly guessed that our speaker is going to be Mary Ann Hoberman, the award-winning author of more than forty outstanding children’s poetry books and picture books in verse. Mary Ann Hoberman was the 2003 recipient of the NCTE Award for Excellence in Poetry for Children. She is also the winner of a National Book Award.

Mary Ann published her first book, ALL MY SHOES COME IN TWOS, fifty years ago.


She is still writing wonderful books for children today. The books in her You Read to Me, I’ll Read to You series, written for two voices, are great fun to read aloud and have become popular with children and adults alike. You can read a review of one of the books in the series, YOU READ TO ME I’LL READ TO YOU: VERY SHORT FAIRY TALES TO READ TOGETHER, in my Poetry Friday: Fairy Tale Poems post at Blue Rose Girls.


I'll have more about Mary Ann Hoberman and her books tomorrow for Poetry Friday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Elaine, I just love the "You Read to Me,I'll Read to You" books. My son's class took turns bringing one home from school to read with their parents. Very sweet.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Susan,

I think the "You Read to Me, I'll Read to You" series is great! The fourth book will be out in July. That book will have "scary" tales for two voices. I bet kids will enjoy that one.