Thursday, April 11, 2019

NPM: Two Poems about Recycling from GREAT MORNING!: Post #7



GREAT MORNING! Poems for School Leaders to Read Aloud is an anthology of 75 poems by 50+ poets—with intros and intriguing facts for each week of the school year. Topics covered in this fine anthology include picture day, diversity, compassion, birthdays, recess, reading, art, music, science, technology, mindfulness, and will power.

One of the "great" things about GREAT MORNING! is that it provides a DID YOU KNOW? informational tidbit to read to students before sharing a poem. It also provides a FOLLOW UP suggestion after the poem is read. The book also connects related poems. What's not to love about a poetry book like this? 
 
Today, I'm focusing on a topic that is of great import--trash. I recently read a story about a dead whale whose stomach contained "nothing but nonstop plastic." Click here to read about it.

From PETA: How Littering Kills Animals

It's never too early to start teaching school children about the disastrous effects careless disposal of trash can have on their environment and on the animals that we share this planet with. That's why I've selected two poems from GREAT MORNING!: Susan Blackaby's RECYCLING and Janet Wong's CLEAN UP. The poems provides an excellent way to start up a discussion about what we should do with our trash.

 
**********
 
See if you can find a copy of Janet Wong's picture book The Dumpster Diver in your school or local library. It's a story about a man who shows neighborhood children how trash can be transformed into treasure.
 

 

BOOK GIVEAWAY
I'll be giving away a copy of GREAT MORNING: Poems for School Leaders to Read Aloud by Sylvia Vardell and Janet Wong. Janet autographed the book for me. It's a poetry book every teacher and school librarian should have.
To be entered into the drawing for the book, all you have to do is to comment on any of my Wild Rose Reader posts that I publish from April 8th through April 13th. I'll announce the winner on Sunday, April 14th.

 

1 comment:

skanny17 said...

I think Great Morning!is a terrific idea. And a wonderful collection of all kinds of poems kids will like and learn from. I am happy to have a poem in it. Should I win your drawing, I will gift this to a principal in a neighboring school. So many terrific poems! Janet Clare F.