Tuesday, April 9, 2019

NPM: Two Cat Poems: Post #6


 
Recently, my daughter had to put her cat Rudy to sleep. It was a sad day for our whole family. Rudy was a sweet, gentle, friendly cat. We miss him. After Rudy passed, I began thinking about my cat Abby. We had to put her to sleep around this time of year in 2012. Abby was a character--and my good buddy. She snuggled beside on the couch when I read The Boston Globe and drank my morning coffee. She often followed me around the house. She sat on a chair beside me when I worked at my computer. She slept with me at night. I still miss her.

After Abby died, I posted two cat poems on this blog. One is a FIB that I wrote in her honor after her death. The other is a mask poem that she inspired. I'm sharing them again today:
A FIB about Abby
 
Cat
Soft
Furry
Purry friend
Cuddler on the couch
My comforter curled beside me

 

I'm Cat
I'm cat.
Come pat
my head.
I'll purr.
Please stroke
my thick
and silky fur.
I'm clean,
serene.
I lick.
I preen.
I'm naught...
haughty.
I a queen.

**********

I'm happy to tell you that my daughter brought home two male kittens last week. They're brothers--and they're adorable. Max is gray and white and looks like Abby. Harry is the spitting image of Rudy when he was a kitten.
 
BOOK GIVEAWAY
I'll be giving away a copy of GREAT MORNING: Poems for School Leaders to Read Aloud by Sylvia Vardell and Janet Wong. Janet autographed the book for me. It's a poetry book every teacher and school librarian should have.
To be entered into the drawing for the book, all you have to do is to comment on any of my Wild Rose Reader posts that I publish from April 8th through April 13th. I'll announce the winner on Sunday, April 14th.

No comments: