Monday, April 1, 2013

Spring Sings…with Poetry!



Sorry that I have been away from blogging for so long! I’ve missed being a part of the children’s literature community. Sometimes we have to step away from things we enjoy doing in order to tend to other important things in our lives.

The past two months have brought both good things and challenges into my life. The illness of a close family member was a major concern for me. While providing daycare for my granddaughter Julia, finishing renovations on our new home, moving my books and other belongings from our current home to our new place, I was also helping to care for that close family member—who, I am happy to say, is well again. 

I couldn’t let the first day of National Poetry Month slip by without posting on Wild Rose Reader. We had a long winter up here in Massachusetts—which included a series of storms that dropped quite a bit of snow on the ground. March is always a brown month around these parts. I did see crocuses poking through the soil in my daughter’s garden last week. Yesterday, I received a gift of tulips. The plants and decorated Easter eggs got me to thinking about flowers and the joyous color they bring as winter gives way to spring. I decided to post a number of my spring flower poems for you to celebrate the beginning of National Poetry Month.

NOTE: As in past years, I’ll be giving away poetry books away again this year. See the details  of my poetry book giveaway at the bottom of this post.

SPRING FLOWER POEMS




Coming up, I’m coming up,
Reaching through the softening soil, poking my petals
Out of the earth,
Collecting sunlight in my purple cup.
Up, I’m coming up.
Spring is on the way!


Look! A starting line
of crocuses ready
to sprint into spring


Crocuses
pierce the softening
soil, push up
purple periscopes,
search for spring’s warm face.


SPRING SINGS
Spring sings with yellow—
Daffodils trumpet the color in a world growing green
Forsythia bushes explode into golden clouds
Dandelions light our lawn like little suns
Daisies flaunt their pollen-powdered faces…
Everywhere I look
Yellow is singing out its bright song.



Daffodils…
dipped in sunlight,
dusted with gold—
brassy blossoms
trumpeting their color
in April gardens
 



FORSYTHIAS
One morning
they unexpectedly
burst into bloom
and sprouted gold.
April used her Midas touch
and turned a gray day
into a surprise celebration
for spring.



FORSYTHIA
Sun rubs resting earth
With warm yellow hands…coaxes
Forth petals of gold


TULIP
Poked its pink head up
looking for spring,
stood watching while clouds passed by,
waited till warm yellow rays
showered down...
then lapped up sunlight
with its silky tongues.


Win a Poetry Book!
Every week during April, I’ll be giving away a children’s poetry book at Wild Rose Reader. If you leave a comment at one of my poetry posts this week (April 1-6), I’ll enter your name in the drawing for a poetry book. If you leave comments at two posts, I'll enter your name twice...and so on. I’ll announce the winner of this week’s giveaway on Sunday, April 7th.

This week’s prize from Wild Rose Reader will be a copy of Lemonade and Other Poems Squeezed from a Single Word, which was written by Bob Raczka and illustrated by Nancy Doniger.








9 comments:

Bridget R. Wilson said...

Beautiful poems with such wonderful imagery, Elaine. Thanks for sharing.

Jane Heitman Healy said...

Elaine, thank you for this colorful kick-off to Poetry Month!

skanny17 said...

My father loved the forsythia and we always new spring was here. Now I live in a more northern clime and spring is short....though still beautiful.

Love your photos and your flower artistry in words.
Janet F.

Linda B said...

So nice to hear from you Elaine! I love your poems and have missed them. Happy poetry month!

Linda H. said...

I have 2 granddaughters that I don't get to see very often, so I send them cards several times a week. I like putting poems and short stories in the cards. May I use some of your "yellow" poems?

Elaine Magliaro said...

Linda H.,

I'd be happy if you shared my "yellow" poems with your granddaughters!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Linda H.,

I'd be happy if you shared my "yellow" poems with your granddaughters!

Charles Waters said...

Welcome back. Glad all is well. Love the poems and love you too!

Linda said...

I've been wondering how you're doing so the update was especially nice. Life does get busy, doesn't it? We moved last August, and with a much longer commute to work, life has been hectic. I don't get to see my two grandchildren as often as I'd like, but we do the best we can.
Love the poems, especailly "Daffodils" such beautiful images "dipped in sunlight/dusted with gold" so lovely!