Saturday, April 13, 2013

Rhyming Acrostics


I’ve written lots of acrostics over the years. Sometimes, I experiment with writing them as rhyming poems. Here is a selection of my rhyming acrostics:  


Fiery flowers bloom
 
In the night:
Roses, carnations…chrysanthemums, too,
Emerald green, red,
White, and blue. Silvery fountains spill
Out of the sky.
Rockets of gold sizzle and sigh.
Kaleidoscope colors cascading in space,
Showering glitter all over the place.


Cans of people,
Automobiles
Roaring down roads on
Silver-capped wheels.

 
Claw-handed critter
Races sideways, skitters
Across the sea-washed land…
Beachcombing in the sand.

 

Words
Hushed
In soft velvet
Sounds
Patter into your
Ear
Revealing deep secrets that no one
Should hear.

 

Changes suits to suit
His locus. Abracadabra! Hocus-pocus! He’s
A clever
Master of disguise…a trickster who can fool the
Eyes! This
Lizard with a fashion flair takes his wardrobe
Everywhere. Predators don’t stop
Or stare.
No one even knows he’s there.

 

Silent sidekick, shape shifter who
Hides in the darkness…
A copycat mimicking everything you
Do. Sunny day playmate frolics in the light.
Oh, where, oh,
Where does it go at night?

 ********************

Book Giveaway Reminder
My poetry book giveaway for the second week of National Poetry Month (April 7-13) will be Spot the Plot: A Riddle Book of Book Riddles—which was written by J. Patrick Lewis and illustrated by Lynn Munsinger. (NOTE: I’ll announce the winner of Spot the Plot on Sunday, April 14th.)
 



4 comments:

Bridget R. Wilson said...

Lovely poems, Elaine. I love the imagery. I've always shied away from rhyme prefering free verse.

skanny17 said...

Hi Elaine,

I "met" you at NCTE in Chicago in 2011. Maybe you came to my session, though I am not sure. I am a recently retired poetry teacher and advocate and sometime poet. I am going to feature your blog and what you are doing in April as part of my 5 minutes at the IRA Poetry Olio next week in San Antonio. Your blog is wonderful and I will be checking in more. Not sure if I can sign up via the google friends, but will try. You can check me out if you like at Irene Latham blog Progressive Poem from April 7. I was a guest blogger that day. Love your poems and photos. I am Janet Clare on FB.
Janet F.

skanny17 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Charles Waters said...

You could Avis Harley a run for her money with these acrostics.