Friday, April 19, 2013

Things to Do If You Are a Mountain: An Original List Poem


I’m still recuperating from the nasty respiratory bug I came down with last week. Once again, I decided to dig into my poetry files to find a poem to post today. I chose this “things to do” list poems that I wrote several years ago: 

THINGS TO DO IF YOU ARE A MOUNTAIN

Wear a snow-white cap

and a thick coat of evergreens.

Scratch your stony back with glaciers.

Tower over the tops of other mountains.

Let the sun sparkle on your summit.

Hide drowsing bears

in your deep brown pockets.

At night

poke your head above the clouds

and peek at the stars.

********************

Book Giveaway Reminder
My book giveaway for the third week of National Poetry Month (April 14-20) will be COWBOYS—with poems by David L. Harrisonand illustrations by Dan Burr. NOTE: I’ll announce the winner of COWBOYS on Sunday, April 21st.


 ********************

Irene Latham has the Poetry Friday Roundup at Live Your Poem…

8 comments:

Bridget R. Wilson said...

Lovely, Elaine! I live in the mountains...your imagery is just wonderful.

Irene Latham said...

Elaine, I LOVE THIS! More more more, said the baby. Thank you for sharing.

Violet N. said...

Beautiful. Especially like the ending--the peak, peeking at the stars.

Linda B said...

'Scratch your stony back with glaciers.' You always have found such a voice, Elaine. Terrific poem, especially for us here in Colorado! Sorry you've been ill.

Charles Ghigna said...

Excellent poem. Excellent title. Clever. Playful. Imaginative. Especially enjoyed the last three lines.

Charles Waters said...

Thanks for the poem! Do feel better friend.

Mary Lee said...

I need to write a "Things To Do If You Are A..." poem before the month is up! Thanks for the reminder!

Unknown said...

I love your poem Elaine. I must say you have a strong power of imagination. You have beautifully described the mountains in your poem. I have found myself connected to the poem because my native place is Tamborine mountains.