Friday, April 20, 2012

Things to Do If You Are a Nightlight: An Original Poem


THINGS TO DO IF YOU ARE A NIGHTLIGHT

Stay by my bed—
a little electric star
that will shine
till the break of day
and scare
all my nighttime
fears away.

********************
REMINDER

Win a Poetry Book!
Every week during April, I’ll be giving away a children’s poetry book at
Wild Rose Reader. If you leave a comment at one of my poetry posts during the third week of National Poetry Month (April 15-21), I’ll enter your name in the drawing to win a copy of Emma Dilemma: Big Sister Poems, which was written by Kristine O’Connell George and illustrated by Nancy Carpenter.


********************

Diane Mayr has the Poetry Friday Roundup at Random Noodling.



8 comments:

Diane Mayr said...

Just perfect, Elaine, nicely done? Might I run into you at the Mass Poetry Fest?

jama said...

Thank heavens for those little electric stars :).
I really like all your Things to Do poems, Elaine.

Ruth said...

There's nothing like a nightlight to scare away the nighttime fears. :-)

Kerry Aradhya said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kerry Aradhya said...

Hi, Elaine. Love your poem...especially since I have two little girls who can't go to sleep without a little light by their side. The book Emma Dilemma looks cute, too!

Charles Waters said...

Once again I love your children's poems and I love you in equal measure!

Mary Lee said...

Ha! I wrote a What to do if you're a...poem this week, too! (don't enter me in the drawing...already own it!!)

Martha Calderaro said...

Led fourth-grade poetry workshops today, and we tried some Things to Do poems -- such fun! Your "Things to Do If You Are a Pencil" from Falling Down the Page was also much enjoyed.
Your Nightlight poem is wonderful, too.
Happy Poetry Month!