Friday, April 27, 2012

Things to Do If You Are a Book: An Original Poem


I have a good excuse for posting late this Poetry Friday. Look at the picture below.


Here's the background story. I was the second car in line at the drive-up window at the bank where we do business. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the car in front of me BACKING UP! I honked my horn--but too late. The driver of the car crashed into me and broke my passenger-side headlight. So it goes.

Now...from car crashes to poetry...about children's books.

One of the things that I enjoyed most about being an elementary school teacher was reading aloud to children. It's something that I still miss eight years after my retirement. These days I--like other family members--love reading to my little granddaughter Julia Anna who is beginning to understand books better now that she is eight-months-old. She does, however, still enjoy chewing on her favorite board books.

Here's a "things to do" poem that I wrote last year. It includes some of the favorite books that I read to my students and my daughter.

THINGS TO DO IF YOU ARE A BOOK
Be filled with words that tell a tale
of a little mouse and a giant whale
of a runty pig and his spider friend
who was true and loyal to the end
of a badger who loved eating bread and jam
of a funky guy, green eggs, and ham
of a spunky girl named Ramona Q.
of a boy and the Jabberwock he slew.
Be filled with words and tell a tale
that will let my imagination sail.
Be a mystery
or a fantasy
or sing with sounds of poetry.
Between your covers
let there be
a story that’s just right for me.

********************

Tabatha has the Poetry Friday Roundup over at The Opposite of Indifference.

********************

REMINDER
Win a Poetry Book!
Every week during April, I’m giving away a children’s poetry book at
Wild Rose Reader. If you leave a comment at one of my poetry posts during the fourth week of National Poetry Month (April 22-28), I’ll enter your name in the drawing to win a copy of Requiem: Poems of the Terezin Ghetto, which was written by Paul B. Janeczko.


7 comments:

Tabatha said...

This is one of my favorite "things to do" poems :-)

jama said...

Sorry about your car, Elaine. Don't people look when they're backing up?!!

Fun "Things to Do" poem, and loved the pics of Julia Anna. Jack looks like he wants to chew on a book too. :)

Susan Taylor Brown said...

I'm with Tabatha, I think this is one of my favorites of yours. It goes right to the heart of readers.

I think the last line of your poem nails it down for me.

I'm sorry about your car too but so glad no one was hurt.

Linda B said...

Sorry about the accident & am very glad you are okay. I love this poem too, that has the beauty of books exactly. Thank you Elaine.

Charles Waters said...

Janeczko's book threw me for a loop that I still haven't recovered from. The detail and humanity is his writing shines in this collection. Thanks for highlighting it1

Looking for the Write Words said...

Hi Elaine,

A belated comment, but I just have to say I loved this post with photos of the new reader in your life. I miss the days of reading aloud to my own children and reading aloud is my favorite part of the school day. I also love "The Things to Do If You Are a Book" poem. If it's not too late, I would love to send along a few of the poems written by my students that were inspired by your writing. ~Theresa

April Halprin Wayland said...

I love your book's things to do, Elaine! And P.S: I had an amazing gourmet meal with Janet W at IRA...I think she's taught my tongue new worlds to explore!