Sunday, June 28, 2009

Old Friends, Newlyweds, & A Poem

I was away in Maine late last week. My husband and I went up to the Ogunquit area to attend the wedding of the son of two of our best friends. The four of us have known each other for nearly fifty years. We met in high school. I met three of my other friends who attended the wedding in first grade! It was great to spend a couple of days celebrating a happy occasion with old friends.


OLD FRIENDS aka THE MAVENS


Since I was away for Poetry Friday, I’m posting a poem today in honor of Meg and Hugh, the newlyweds.

Colors Passing through Us
by Marge Piercy

Purple as tulips in May, mauve
into lush velvet, purple
as the stain blackberries leave
on the lips, on the hands,
the purple of ripe grapes
sunlit and warm as flesh.

Every day I will give you a color,
like a new flower in a bud vase
on your desk. Every day
I will paint you, as women
color each other with henna
on hands and on feet.

Red as henna, as cinnamon,
as coals after the fire is banked,
the cardinal in the feeder,
the roses tumbling on the arbor
their weight bending the wood
the red of the syrup I make from petals.


You can read the rest of the poem here.

BTW, my husband and I will celebrate our 40th anniversary in July!

Mike & Me

4 comments:

Jules at 7-Imp said...

The Mavens are total babes!

What a beautiful poem, and happy anniversary in advance!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Thanks, Jules. We Mavens always have fun when we get together!

Vivian Mahoney said...

I LOVE this poem. Perfect for celebrating love and friendship. Happy Anniversary!

laurasalas said...

40 years! Congratulations, Elaine!