Friday, January 11, 2008

Poetry Friday Potpourri: Winter Poems

I was looking through my files for some old poems about winter to post for Poetry Friday. Here are four poems, including a haiku and an acrostic.

Poems by Elaine Magliaro

Pond in Winter

The meadow pond lies silent, still…
Sealed in tight by winter’s chill.
A downy quilt of fallen snow
Hides a cold, dark world below.
I wonder all the winter through”
“What do fish and turtles do?”



Bedtime in Winter

Dark comes early.
Night is long.
Mommy sings
A bedtime song.
I am snuggled
Down and deep
Beneath soft covers.
While I sleep,
I have my teddy bear
To hold.
He keeps me warm
When nights are cold.



With frosty feet
little mouse prints a message
in the snow: Hello!


Ferns of ice
Rooted
On windowpanes, their
Silver fronds growing in the frigid night
Then melting in the morning light.


The Poetry Friday Roundup is at The Book Mine Set this week.

6 comments:

Tricia said...

I love bedtime in winter. My mom didn't sing, but all the rest is so true. I can feel the warmth of those covers, pulled right up to my nose.

Thanks for sharing these. Have a great weekend.

Jules at 7-Imp said...

Those are great. I hope you met your goal and sent some stuff off this week.

I particularly love the imagery that "ferns of ice" evokes.

Jules, 7-Imp

Elaine Magliaro said...

Tricia,

I wrote that poem about twenty years ago. It's another one of my old, moldering poems.


Jules,

I haven't sent any manuscripts out yet--but I checked a number of things off my list of things to do, including things that had to be done for our reading council by week's end.

Thanks to both of you for stopping by and commenting. Happy weekend!

Tricia said...

Let's call them finely aged, not old. And moldering? Never!

jama said...

What lovely poems, Elaine. I love the frost acrostic best.

Sara said...

I want to wake up one morning and find that frost has made your poem on my window. It's lovely.