Monday, July 9, 2007

CRASH!!!

Well...I think something funny is going on in the kidlitosphere! First, it was Kelly Herold's computer that crashed not so long ago. This morning it was my computer. My husband--who is much better with technology than I--just set off for Canada. He left behind one of his laptops, which has no word processing.

I know, I know...I should have backed up all my files--but I didn't! I was planning on getting a brand new computer soon. I guess not soon enough. Michele, don't scold me! I've learned my lesson.

Everyone, keep your fingers crossed that I'll be able to retrieve all my files--especially my children's literature course syllabus and all my poetry manuscripts. I've had luck before when my computer got zapped twice during lightning storms in two successive summers and a wonderful tech at my husband's company retrieved EVERYTHING for me.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yikes. Good luck with the computer, Elaine. Mine was making weird noises yesterday, but eventually stopped. I had my fingers crossed.

Tricia said...

Oh Elaine, I am so sorry. I just got a new laptop and have been worried sick that I'll lose it and all my work along with it. I must back it up soon! I'll keep a good thought and hope all your files are retrieved soon.
Tricia

Elaine Magliaro said...

Susan and Tricia,

Thanks for your concern. Fortunately, I have hard copies of most of my poetry manuscripts and my syllabus--but that would still mean hours of work typing everything over again. I think I need to take a computer course...and will definitely back up all my files from now on.

My husband just got a virus in his other laptop recently.

Anonymous said...

Oh no, Elaine. Keeping my fingers double-crossed for you. Computer troubles are so stressful!

Mary Lee said...

I'm backing up everything NOW! If crashes come in threes like other events, both happy and sad, I don't want to make up the trifecta of crashes!

Kelly said...

Elaine!! I hope your computer guy gets your baby fixed. Mine saved my files--now all backed up on a handy-dandy stick I wear around my neck :)

My fingers are crossed!!

Anonymous said...

Good luck! I'm so scared this'll happen to me. I. need. to. back-up!

Little Willow said...

Computer vibes for you!