Friday, July 6, 2007

Children's Poetry Books & The 2007 Cybils



Last fall, I had the pleasure of serving as one of the five members of the Cybils poetry-nominating panel. As a panelist, I read and evaluated twenty-six children’s poetry books—a few of which were exceptional. I felt that several other poetry books were strong enough to recommend without hesitation. There were also books whose quality of poetry was uneven—books in which some of the poems were excellent and others were just mediocre.

Now that we have passed the midway mark of the current year, I have begun to revisit the children’s poetry books that I’ve read and reviewed to date at Blue Rose Girls and at Wild Rose Reader—books that will be eligible for a 2007 Cybils Award. I have included links to my reviews of these books below. In my opinion, all are fine books. I’d like to mention that in addition to having poetry of quality, the books also have wonderful illustrations. (Note: I haven’t written reviews of all the poetry collections and anthologies that I’ve read this year.)

If you have read any/all of these books—I’d really like to know what you think. Do you have a favorite among them? What other children’s poetry books published in 2007 would you recommend?


SINGLE AUTHOR COLLECTIONS


TWIST: YOGA POEMS
Written by Janet Wong
Illustrated by Julie Paschkis

ANIMAL POEMS
Written by Valerie Worth
Illustrated by Steve Jenkins



COMETS, STARS, THE MOON, AND MARS
Written & illustrated by Douglas Florian


THIS IS JUST TO SAY: POEMS OF APOLOGY AND FORGIVENESS
Written by Joyce Sidman
Illustrated by Pamela Zagarenski

ANTHOLOGIES


HERE’S A LITTLE POEM: A VERY FIRST BOOK OF POETRY
Collected by Jane Yolen & Andrew Fusek Peters


SPECIAL CATEGORY

TODAY & TODAY: HAIKU BY ISSA
Illustrated by G. Brian Karas



Let me know what poetry collections and anthologies published in 2007 that you would recommend to me and other blog readers.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my! SO HARD! All of the ones you mentioned are so excellent (though I still really want to see the Karas one, and I haven't gotten my hands on it). The Yolen/Fusek Peters one is so fabulous (I bought another copy today -- this time for a friend who just gave birth).

Great post!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Jules,

I think they're all great books, too! My niece saw my copy of Karas's book and bought one for her son's teacher as an end-of-the-year gift. I have never seen a book of haiku like it. And the Yolen/Fusek book is, in my opinion, one of the best anthologies of poetry for very young children that I have ever read.

I hope the fall will bring more fine children's poetry books for us
to read.

Anonymous said...

Elaine, thanks for mentioning these. I haven't read them. I did read Karla Kuskin's "Green as a Bean" (the new reissue). I was a bit disappointed, but mostly because it tilted much younger than I'd expected. I also thought, mistakenly, that it was a collection of poems. I gave the book to Junior's teacher; I could see using it in a poetry unit at school.

Anonymous said...

I'm dying to see the Karas one! Can't wait . . . In fact, I'm going to go look again now at my library (online, that is).

Anonymous said...

OOH! OOH! They have it!

(I'll report back) . . .

!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Susan,

I was disappointed in Kuskin's "Green as a Bean" too. I don't think it's on a par with the rest of her work. I love her poetry. I especially like her book "Any Me I Want to Be." It's a collection of mask poems, which--unfortunately--is now out of print.

Jules,

I hope you like Toady & Today. I look forward to hearing your opinion of the book.

Becky said...

Florian's "space poetry" has been a big hit around here, probably the most popular with my kids of this year's books...

What an impressive round-up, and a fabulous resource! Thanks, Elaine.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Becky,

Thanks for your input. Florian's poetry is really popular with kids. I'm hoping to read more great children's poetry books this fall.