Friday, October 25, 2019

PICK A PUMPKIN: A Halloween Read Aloud in Verse



Looking for an excellent Halloween book in verse to read aloud to young children? I've got a recommendation for you: PICK A PUMPKIN, which was written by Patricia Toht and illustrated by Jarvis. The book was published in July. I was eager to get a copy of  PICK A PUMPKIN to read to my granddaughters because we all loved Toht's PICK A PINE TREE, which was also illustrated by Jarvis.
 
In PICK A PUMPKIN, a family goes to a farm to select just the right pumpkin to carve for Halloween. While at the farm, they also
Stop for mugs
of spicy punch,
toffee apples,
sweet to crunch.

The family takes the pumpkin home, rubs it clean, and gathers the things they'll need for carving their jack-o-lantern. Then...they invite a "pumpkin carving crew" over to help.
 
The crew begins their work:
Now all together...
carve the eyes.
Giant circles of surprise.
Small slits sleeping
or one eye peeping.
Cross-eyes crazy.
Angry. Lazy.

Before the crew lights its "new creation," they decorate the house for Halloween with...

Cobwebs strung from post to post.
Rings of gauzy dancing ghosts.
Spiders. Tombstones.
Dangling bats.
Skeletons and witches' hats.

Next, the children don their costumes, take the jack-o-lantern outside, and an adult strikes a match so it will glow.

It's red-hot eyes
will gaze
and flicker.
Its fiery grin
will blaze and snicker.


 
It will also guard the house while the children are off trick-or-treating.

Jarvis's illustrations are a perfect match for Toht's rhythmic, rhyming text. The final double-page spread shows children trick-or-treating in a dark neighborhood that glows with lit jack-o-lanterns and streetlights. The book truly captures the "spooky" excitement children feel on Halloween.

 ***************

Karen Edmisten has the Poetry Friday Roundup at her blog.

 

5 comments:

Kimberly Hutmacher said...

This book deserves all of the wonderful attention it's getting. It's a lovely Autumn treat.

Mary Lee said...

We'll be carving our pumpkins this week in preparation for the trick-or-treaters!

Kay said...

This book looks like so much fun! I'm taking my little sis tonight to a pumpkin display with 150+ carved jack-o-lanterns. I'm sure some will be spooky fun!

Carol Varsalona said...

I just added a new pumpkin to my outdoor collection. I chose it at the annual fundraiser. I wish I had Pick a Pumpkin with me to read the sweet children's verses out loud. Thank you for sharing some of the wonderful poems from the books.

Cheriee Weichel said...

I'm looking forward to carving a pumpkin with my 2 year old granddaughter this year.