Friday, October 11, 2019

AUTUMN CELEBRATION: An Original Poem



Early autumn is my favorite time of year. I enjoy the cooler days and colored foliage. I like the way my daughter decorates her house for Halloween. I love reading spooky Halloween books and poems to my granddaughters.
 
I wrote the following poem more than a decade ago:

AUTUMN CELEBRATION

In October, colored leaves
Fall from oak and maple tree--
Bright confetti shaken down
From their boughs. All over town
Trees are celebrating fall,
Decorating every wall,
Sidewalk, yard, and flowerbed
With pumpkin-orange, gold, and red.
We stand out in the falling leaves
And catch confetti on our sleeves,
In our hands and in our hair. 
We party till the trees are bare.

 ********************
 
Catherine has the Poetry Friday Roundup at Reading to the Core.

 

11 comments:

jama said...

Lovely poem, Elaine. The images are so vivid! I really like your use of confetti :).

Elaine Magliaro said...

Thanks, Jama! I have always loved this time of year.

Carol Varsalona said...

Elaine, your poem and photo make a great combination for my autumn gallery, Abundant Autumn. May I capture them? Thanks for sharing your autumn fun!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Carol,

Yes, you may!

Linda B said...

It is so full of the rhythm of celebrations, Elaine. I will never tire of autumn poems. Love "Decorating every wall,
Sidewalk, yard, and flowerbed". Indeed, that's truth!

Catherine Flynn said...

I love autumn, too, Elaine. Your poem captures the beauty of the season perfectly. I especially love "Bright confetti shaken down/ From their boughs." Enjoy these next few glorious weeks! Thank you for sharing!

Molly Hogan said...

I love the joyful celebration of fall in your poem. It's one of my favorite seasons, and this one has been especially beautiful and inspiring!

Linda Mitchell said...

ooooh, I love the confetti and the feeling of joy in this.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Thanks,
Linda B., Catherine, Molly, and Linda M.,

Sorry not to respond sooner. I hit a writing dry spell for many weeks. Then, a few days ago, I got an inspiration for a new picture book set on the last night of October. I've been busy at the computer. And yesterday, my husband and I went to Grace Lin's launch party for her new book--A Big Bed for Little Snow.

Kay said...

What a fun celebration for fall. It's my favorite time of year.

Heidi Mordhorst said...

I like your last line very much! It's nice to have you back.