Tuesday, April 2, 2019

NPM: Writing Things to Do Poems: Post #2


 
I created the following THINGS TO DO classroom poetry writing resource for Booksource. It includes pre-reading activities, text-based questions, suggestions for brainstorming and creative writing, and lesson extensions. Here's a link to that resource:
 
Here is a link to a slightly different classroom resource for inspiring kids to write "things to do" poems that I developed for Two Writing Teachers:
 
About THINGS TO DO from Jennifer Black Reinhardt of Picture Book Builders: I selected this book to talk about today because I think both the pictures and words sing with a real simplicity and beauty. I hope that young readers are inspired to make detailed visual observations about everything around them. From pink erasers to the warm yellow sun. Elaine Magliaro has woven together descriptive verbs to describe each thing. This is a beautiful introduction to discussing word choice with children. The way the words sound are as important here as what they mean.

 

A downloadable Poetry Picture Book Teacher Guide was created by Chronicle Books for Things to DoA Strange Place to Call Home (Marilyn Singer), Water Sings Blue (Kate Coombs), Bigfoot Is Missing! (J. Patrick Lewis & Kenn Nesbitt), and When Thunders Comes: Poems for Civil Rights Leaders (J. Patrick Lewis).
**********
**********

NOTE: I'm giving away an autographed copy of my book THINGS TO DO.  It won the 2018 Margaret Wise Brown Prize in Children's Literature and a 2018 Ezra Jack Keats New Writer Honor Award. It was also named a best children's book of 2017 by The New York Public Library and the Cooperative Children's Book Center. To be entered into the drawing for the book, all you have to do is to comment on any of my Wild Rose Readers posts that I publish from April 1st through April 6th. I'll announce the winner on Sunday, April 7th.

 

1 comment:

skanny17 said...

Another post I will come back to and use. Wonderful, Elaine.