Sunday, April 28, 2019

NPM: A CHARMING PRINCE HAS SECOND THOUGHTS--A Funny Fairy Tale Poem: Post #20




Nearly twenty-five years ago, I began writing a collection of humorous fairy tale poems. I was inspired to write them after sharing some funny fairy tale poems written by Judith Viorst and X.J. Kennedy with my elementary students during the course of an extensive unit on traditional literature that I did in my classroom. I never submitted my collection to a publisher. Still, I had fun writing the poems--and sharing them with my students and members of my writing group.
 
 

A CHARMING PRINCE HAS SECOND THOUGHTS

By Elaine Magliaro
Listen…Sleeping Beauty snoring
Sounds just like a lion roaring!
If I kiss her cheek, she’ll rise
And look into my deep blue eyes.
She’ll fall in love with me no doubt.
I’m the only prince hereabout.

Should I kiss Beauty? Should I not?
In this dilemma I am caught.
If I wake her now she’s mine—
A roaring, snoring valentine!
I know they say that love is blind,
But it’s not deaf. I’m disinclined
To rouse this maid. I’ll let her snore
And dream of me forevermore.

 ***************
 
BOOK GIVEAWAY

I'm giving away a copy of YOU JUST WAIT: A Poetry Friday Power Book by SylviaVardell and Janet Wong. It's would be an excellent classroom resource for teachers of "tweens and teens."

To be entered into the drawing for the book, all you have to do is to comment on any of my Wild Rose Reader posts that I publish from April 23rd through April 30th. I'll announce the winner on Wednesday, May 1st.

 

No comments: