Friday, February 24, 2017

A Poem in Memory of My Mother


 
Mary Koziski Drabik
February 24, 1918--January 5, 2017
 
My mother Mary--or Manya as her parents called her--was the daughter of Polish immigrants who came to America in the early part of the 20th century. My mother came from a close-knit family. The eldest of four children--two daughters and two sons--she was the last of all her siblings and cousins to pass away. She was one tough old gal who was well loved and admired by everyone who knew her.
 
My mother was devoted to her family. She doted on my father. She took care of my daughter Sara so I could return to teaching. She also helped care for her parents and her mother-in-law when they were elderly. She was always busy doing things for others in order to make their lives better.
 
My mom passed away on the evening of January 5th surrounded by her loved ones. We all miss her terribly.
 
For more than a decade, my husband and I hosted a family gathering in celebration of Mom's birthday. On Sunday, we plan to gather again to celebrate my mother's life...and to share happy memories of our lives with her.
 
I had wanted to read a poem by Christina Rossetti at my mother's funeral--but knew I wouldn't be able to share it without coming to tears. I'd like to share that poem this Poetry Friday with all of my kidlit blogging friends.
 

[Sonnets are full of love, and this my tome]

By Christina Rossetti

Sonnets are full of love, and this my tome
Has many sonnets: so here now shall be
One sonnet more, a love sonnet, from me
To her whose heart is my heart’s quiet home,
To my first Love, my Mother, on whose knee
I learnt love-lore that is not troublesome;
Whose service is my special dignity,
And she my loadstar while I go and come
And so because you love me, and because
I love you, Mother, I have woven a wreath
Of rhymes wherewith to crown your honored name:
In you not fourscore years can dim the flame
Of love, whose blessed glow transcends the laws
Of time and change and mortal life and death.
 
 
 
 
 



 
 








 My Mother's Last Mother's Day (2016)

Head on over to Jama Rattigan's Alphabet Soup to read her interview with me...and to find out more about my first book THINGS TO DO:
 
 

 
 
 
 


18 comments:

Brenda at FriendlyFairyTales said...

I read Jama's post, and congrats to you! Your book looks wonderful! I enjoyed reading about your path to publication, too.

This is a beautiful tribute to a women who sounds like she was your foundation, your earth. I lost my mom, too, and I don't think there's a good age or time for that to happen. Or an end to the grief of it. Hugs.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Thanks, Brenda!

My mother was a rock for the whole family. She was a selfless individual. My family will gather to share our happiest and funniest memories of Mom on Sunday. I am looking forward to that.

jama said...

What a beautiful sonnet (hadn't seen it before) . . . and wonderful pictures -- thanks so much for sharing. Your mom was pretty in pink (just like mine), and those pics with Julia Anna are especially lovely. Enjoy getting together with your family on Sunday; your mom will be smiling down on all of you.

Jane @ Raincity Librarian said...

What a beautiful celebration of a life well lived and well loved. In the end, that's all we can hope for, isn't it? A life filled with family, friends and love, and it certainly looks like your mother lived that life to the fullest. Enjoy sharing those memories together - we've had a few family losses in the past few years, and we always try to have wakes that are filled with both laughter and tears. You'll always have the memories, and the love!

tanita✿davis said...

This sonnet is new to me - and so beautiful, but not as beautiful as the pictures of your happy family. May your mother's memory be a blessing.

BJ Lee said...

What a beautiful tribute to your mother, Elaine! Many congratulations on your forthcoming book! I read Jama's post – it was wonderful to hear about the book and your process with Melissa Manlove. Kudos!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Thanks, everyone, for your kind words. My mother enjoyed a long and healthy life. She would have been 99 today!

Linda said...

The sonnet and your post about your mother are beautiful, Elaine. I enjoyed seeing the pictures too. My mom passed away four years ago this June. I don't think we ever stop missing our mothers.

Margaret Simon said...

I'm so glad Laura Purdie Salas led me to your sight. What a lovely tribute to your mother on her birthday! Today is my oldest daughter's birthday. You are so blessed to have had your mother for so long!

Violet N. said...

What a grand and lovely lady. The love just oozes out of your post and all the photos. Thanks for sharing your special mom with us today!

Tara said...

Such a beautiful tribute to your mother - a grand lady.

Linda B said...

"I have woven a wreath of rhymes", just beautiful and loving, Elaine. You've shared a lovely tribute to your mother. I hope your celebration is a loving one with family. There never seems to be enough time with our loved ones, but keeping them in our hearts is the next best thing.

Karen Edmisten said...

The sonnet is new to me, too, and so lovely. I'm so sorry for the loss of your dear mom. This is such a lovely tribute to a woman who was clearly the rock and foundation of your family. May tomorrow's gathering be a beautiful one for you all.

Alice Nine said...

What a beautiful tribute, Elaine. She blessed you with "love, whose blessed glow transcends the laws of time and change and mortal life and death." May you and yours find comfort in laughter and tears as you celebrate her day tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

This is such a beautiful tribute, Elaine. How fortunate you were, to not just have your mother for so many years, but to have been blessed with such a beautiful relationship. No wonder you miss her so. The photos were gorgeous and the sonnet, perfect. Thank-you for sharing it with us.

Linda Mitchell said...

Elaine, how could you have possibly known?
It is Sunday. By now you are gathering to honor your mother. I have spent the weekend reading over Poetry Friday entries and commenting here and there. I saw your post title and was skittish. I lost my mom several years ago. But, it's still tough. I find it easy to talk or write about her. But, sometimes, another's pain about this loss is too much. I don't know why. So, I was putting off reading your PF contribution.
This week, I reviewed a book.....written.....in....sonnets. I had been putting that book off for a couple/few years because I have been afraid of the sonnet. Just sure I couldn't do it, to write one. Well, after reading the book and seeing it as a mentor text and the author as mentor I have started. In my post I asked others to reccommend sonnets to me. And, here your post was all along.
Sigh.
It's amazing the lessons I learn in a weekend from poetry friday.
I wish you laughter and joy as you celebrate your mother. I wish you times in the future when you are missing her memories that are blessings. I think that the lady I read about in your post above is still incredibly in love with you and proud of how you make a mark on this world. Thank you, Elaine. God bless, and have a great week.

Ruth said...

I'm so sorry that you lost your mother, Elaine. Thank you for sharing her, and this poem, with us!

Charles Waters said...

Lovely post and healing thoughts to you and your family, Elaine. She raised one lovely daughter. :-)