Friday, December 13, 2013

UNDER THE TREE: An Original Poem







It has been many months since I last posted anything on Wild Rose Reader. I have missed the kidlitosphere--especially participating in Poetry Fridays. There has been much going on in my life...and I have had to focus on those things. Still, I couldn't let the year end without sharing a poem or two with you.

Several years ago, I began working on a collection of poems about candy. The collection takes one through the year with sweet treats. While writing the poems, I collected information on many different kinds of candy by reading books and by doing research on the Internet. I included short informational paragraphs about the candy along with the poems.

I have loved chocolate since I was little. One present that I always found stuffed in my Christmas stocking when I was a child was a small sack of chocolate coins wrapped in gold foil. How I enjoyed unwrapping them and letting the dark brown disks melt on my tongue!


UNDER THE TREE

Here’s a gift to savor…not save:
A sack of candy coins
Wrapped in gold…
Milk chocolate medallions
That melt on my tongue.
I won’t stash this sweet cash.
I’m putting this money
Where my mouth is!

  
Milk Chocolate
Milk chocolate coins wrapped in foil are given to children as Hanukkah gelt and are also often stuffed into children’s Christmas stockings. The giving of chocolate Hanukkah gelt is a European tradition, which most likely dates back to the late 18th or early 19th century. The giving of chocolate coins at Christmastime is believed by some to commemorate Saint Nicholas who gave bags of gold coins to the poor.

NOTE: It appears that my granddaughter Julia has inherited her “Gammy’s” love of chocolate!





You’ll find the Poetry Friday Roundup at The Opposite of Indifference.


11 comments:

Jane Heitman Healy said...

What a sweet post, Elaine! (pun intended) Enjoy your holiday chocolate!

Linda B said...

So lovely to see a poem from you, Elaine, and with your best 'tongue-in-cheek' style! Love seeing Julia growing up too!

Tricia said...

It's lovely to see you here today and get a glimpse of how much your granddaughter has grown!

Thanks for sharing your poem.
Fondly,
Tricia

Looking for the Write Words said...

Hi Elaine,
I am gathering some poems from some of my favorite poets to share with my students. This is a sweet treat. Thank you! I have missed your posts and hope that life is treating you well.
~ Theresa

Julie said...

Elaine, it's great to see you back here and to get a peek at your granddaughter - she's darling! I love the sound of your project - hope to see it on bookstore shelves in the future.

jama said...

Happy Holidays, Elaine!
We've missed you and it's wonderful to read one of your candy collection poems. I was just thinking about you yesterday.

A friend recently sent me a bag of chocolate coins so your poem is extra delicious. LOVE the ending :). I can't believe how big Julia has gotten!

Michelle Heidenrich Barnes said...

What's not to love about chocolate... or your poem... or your granddaughter! Delightful X 3.

Mary Lee said...

Welcome back! We've missed you! Goodness how Julia has grown!!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours!!

Tabatha said...

Merry Christmas, Elaine! What a sweet set of photos & a clever ending to your poem :-)

Doraine said...

The wonders of chocolate, faces full of delight, and Gammys. Enjoy your holidays.

Catherine said...

Yum! I wouldn't "stash the sweet cash" either. Thank you for sharing this clever poem.