Friday, January 25, 2013

SUN: An Original List Poem





A couple of weeks ago, I posted some pictures of the built-in bookcases that we had installed at our new home. I’ve already begun filling the shelves—even though we haven’t moved yet.


Julia likes to visit my “library,” look at all the pictures books, pull books off the shelves and “read” them. Sometimes, she insists on taking one of the books back over to her side of the house.  

(BTW, we're planning to have another built-in bookcase made for our upstairs hallway. One can never have too many bookcases!)

I often grab my “gram cam” to snap pictures of Julia reading books.

Julia reading Miss Mary Mack.

Julia reading Merry Christmas, Ollie!

One of Julia’s new favorites isn’t a picture book. It’s Grace Lin’s Dumpling Days. One night last week, she refused to go to bed without the book. On Wednesday afternoon, she sat on the floor of the family room quietly flipping through the pages and looking at the illustrations/sketches that Grace included in her novel. That night, her dad told me she chose Dumpling Days over her favorite stuffed animal when he put her to sleep.

 

Julia reading Dumpling Days yesterday:




 

********************

My life has been so busy lately that I don’t find much time to write poetry. I did compose the following a list poem in my head this week. I consider it a companion poem to the one I wrote about night last fall.


Sun 
rises in the eastern sky,
melts the stars 
and bids goodbye
to darkness, night, 
and lights the way
for arrival of a brand new day.

********************

Tabatha has the Poetry Friday Roundup is at The Opposite of Indifference.



8 comments:

jama said...

Lovely -- sun melting the stars!

Wonderful bookcase, Elaine. Happy to see Pooh there among all those great books. Julia has excellent taste already, choosing Dumpling Days! :)

Tabatha said...

Your granddaughter is a voracious reader already -- yay! I especially like the same line that Jama mentioned, those melting stars :-)

Bridget Magee said...

Your SUN poem "warmed" me. And your granddaughter is one lucky girl to be surrounded by so many books! Too funny that a novel is her current favorite. =)

Linda B said...

Glad to see Julia with the books, Elaine. You are clever to have composed that poem "in the air'. Nice to have companion poems! You've given me an idea!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Jama, Tabatha, Bridget, & Linda,

Thanks for your comments. It's such fun being a grandmother...and being able to help hook my granddaughter on books!

Mary Lee said...

Love those melting stars...and watching the rising sun of your life (Julia!!) become a reader!

I'm crushing on your shelves...so true that you can never have too many!!

Tara @ A Teaching Life said...

Lovely photographs - Julia will need book cases like yours very soon. She looks like someone who will have a library of her very own.

Rebecca said...

Oh my goodness Elaine, Julia has gotten to be such a big little girl. OF COURSE she loves to read, how could she not. Beautiful bookcases! I never catch up on blogs, as much as I'd love to but something on facebook made me think to read yours tonight. I'm glad I did!
Rebecca