Friday, November 9, 2012

A Poem about Night


 
It’s been an interesting couple of weeks for me. We had a family Halloween party the last weekend in October at “The Farm.” That’s what my husband calls the house that we’ll be moving to at some time in the future. My daughter, son-in-law, and granddaughter have already been living there for two months now.
 
My husband and I have plans to have some renovations done on our new living quarters before we move in. One thing that is a must—having a wall of bookshelves built in our upstairs office/den. I have thousands of children’s books that I don’t want to sell or give away. I want to keep them for my granddaughter Julia. She LOVES Books!
 
Last week, we had to batten down the hatches in preparation for Hurricane Sandy. Fortunately, the storm didn’t hit my area too hard. This week we had a nor’easter. We got snow here on Wednesday night. The weather is looking up here for the long weekend ahead.
 
I’ve been so busy taking care of Julia and with our renovations plans that I’ve found little time to blog or write poetry. I did, however, write a poem “in my head” a few weeks ago when I was taking Julia for a walk to a nearby park on a beautiful autumn day. Here it is:


Night
Sang the sun a lullaby
And sprinkled stars across the sky
And lit the moon
And made it shine
Into this little room of mine.

******************** 

Ed DeCaria has the Poetry Friday Roundup at Think Kid, Think!

 

6 comments:

Matt Forrest Esenwine said...

So sweet! Really nice; I can hear that being sung to a little one every evening.

Linda said...

So lovely, as always! I know the stress of moving. We just moved an entire state away with a long drive to work. It's been two months, and we're just not beginning to feel at home. I still miss the old house, but it was a necessary move. Best wishes to you and your family!

Greg Pincus said...

I agree with Matt - I can hear it being sung as a nightly "ritual"....

Linda B said...

I always love the pics of Julia, Elaine. I am keeping my granddaughters this weekend! Your poem in your head is so sweet. I think I'll share with two little ones this weekend. Thank you!

jama said...

Now, there's the cutest little pumpkin I've ever seen! She gets more adorable every day. And such a sweet poem, Elaine.

Mary Lee said...

That poem needs to be set to music and sung as a lullaby!

Looking forward to seeing you at NCTE!!