Friday, June 15, 2012

PICKING STRAWBERRIES: An Original Memoir Poem


My husband and I became shareholders in a local organic farm this year. We’re happy about being involved in CSA (Community Supported Agriculture). CSA has become popular around these parts. We had been on a waiting list for two years.

Last Monday, my husband, daughter, and granddaughter went to Appleton Farms to pick our weekly barn share of farm produce. They also "picked-our-own share" from the garden. One item they reaped from the garden was a basket of strawberries. Yum!

With strawberries on my mind this week, I decided to post a childhood memoir poem about picking the luscious red fruit in my grandfather’s garden.



PICKING STRAWBERRIES

We pick strawberries
in Dzidzi’s garden,
snap their dark green stems,
finger their beaded coats,
and pop them
into our mouths.
We sink our teeth
into soft, sweet rubies,
little jewels bursting
with the flavor of summer sunshine.


********************

Super teacher Mary Lee Hahn has the Poetry Friday Roundup over at A Year of Reading.






7 comments:

Donna Smith said...

Wonderful to think of soft sweet rubies! I made some strawberry shortcake from some strawberries given to me this week...I'm thinking it's time to do it again!!!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Donna,

Strawberry shortcake is one of my husband's favorite desserts--along with homemade blueberry and apple pies.

Mary Lee said...

Yum! I just came drooling from Carol's Corner, and now here's another droolicious poem!!

Linda B said...

I too love those 'soft, sweet rubies'. Although I haven't been able to do more than go to the farmer's market, I have them from there & there is shortcake. Thanks Elaine for the scrumptious poem.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

man oh man there is NOTHING like eating strawberries in the field! We went to a farm to pick this past week and I was bowled over by the taste. Forget those supermarket pretenders!! I made jam yesterday from what we picked, and we are loving the fresh berries after dinner. Thanks for sharing that poem.

rena traxel said...

My mouth is watering! It will be about a month before I get to enjoy the strawberries in my garden.

Amy LV said...

Yum! This poem perfectly captures this month. We were going to pick today...but the season is about over. So...I will buy berries for jam! Thank you for this! xo, a.