Saturday, October 29, 2011

Three Halloween Books for Wee Ones

My granddaughter Julia Anna

Julia wants to tell you about some Halloween books she likes.
I can’t wait for Halloween to come. I’m getting SOOOO excited. I like to wear my special orange and black Halloween outfit all the time!

My Grammy got me some books about Halloween last week. They’re G-R-E-A-T! I’d like to recommend them to any parents who have wee ones like me at home. There’s nothing better than books for babies!
Whooo’s That?: A Lift-the-Flap Pumpkin Fun Book
Written by Kay Winters
Illustrated by Jeannie Winston
Harcourt

This book has sturdy pages and really colorful pictures. You’ll find the same two words printed in big black letters on every page of this book: Whooo’s that… You have to lift the flaps to find out who is doing things like rattling bebop bones...and brewing savory stew.

This book is written in verse. I like rhyming words…don’t you?

Here’s how the book begins:

Whooo’s that…
Prancing in the park?


Whooo’s that…
Prowling in the dark?


Whooo’s that…
Hanging upside down?


Whooo’s that…
Scowling with a frown?

When my mommy reads this book to me she almost sounds like an owl hooting.

You’ll have to get yourself a copy of this book to find out WHOOO’S behind the flaps.

P.S. The pictures in this book are so delicious I could eat them!

You can see more of Jeannie Winston’s terrific illustrations from the book here.

Click here to look inside this book.

Halloween Mice
Written by Bethany Roberts
Illustrated by Doug Cushman
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Halloween Mice is a little board book. I can’t tear the pages. It’s a story about a bunch of mice who go out on Halloween night and have a party. They skitter through a cornfield...scamper through a pumpkin patch…dance around in the moonlight. Then they stop and listen. They hear a rustling sound. Uh-oh, the Halloween cat is coming!!! The mice huddle together and devise a plan to scare away the frightening feline. I’m not going to tell you any more of the story. You’ll have to read it yourself to find out how the book ends.

By the way, the little mice characters in this story look so cute dressed up in their Halloween costumes.

Click here to see some of the pictures in this book.

One Halloween Night
Written & illustrated by Salina Yoon
Sterling

One Halloween Night is a board book with 18 “lift the flaps.” It has rhyming words—and it’s a counting book. (I haven’t learned how to count yet. I hope this book will help me learn my numbers.)

Here’s how the book begins:

Halloween is spooky fun
for mummies, ghosts, and everyone.


It’s time for trick-or-treat delights,
so count with me all through the night!

The pictures in One Halloween Night are really bright and colorful. They’re not scary at all.

That's all for now.

Happy Halloween
&
Happy Halloween Reading!

1 comment:

laurasalas said...

Awww, what an adorable guest blogger! Whooo's That looks gorgeous. I want it based on illustrations alone! Thanks, Elaine!