Friday, October 21, 2011

HALLOWEEN HAIKU


I was sitting at my computer yesterday thinking about Halloween. My daughter Sara used to get so excited about Halloween when she was little. She always loved spooky stories and movies. She'd start decorating the house for the holiday in early October. I had so much fun watching Sara enjoying herself getting the house ready for the "big night."

Well, Sara is still into Halloween even though she's an adult--and a mother now. Her own home is decorated with Halloween lights, ceramic pumpins, and jack-o-lanterns. I got an idea while I was sitting at my computer yesterday morning. I thought I'd try writing some Halloween haiku--just for fun. Here are some of the "still-in-progress" haikus that I wrote:


Peaked hat piercing clouds
She zooms on a bristled broom
Brushes the sky black


(Picture by Alvina Ling)

Pumpkin heads staring
From doorsteps, their crooked smiles
Flickering with fire


Who haunts this house? Whose
Spirit lingers and won’t leave?
Who-o-o-o...Who-o-o-o haunts this house?



Nothing but bones, it
Clicks and clacks and clatters its
Way through Halloween


********************

Jama Rattigan has the Poetry Friday Roundup at Alphabet Soup.

5 comments:

Faith E. Hough said...

Very cute! :)

maria horvath said...

My favorite:

Peaked hat piercing clouds
She zooms on a bristled broom
Brushes the sky black

I love the images, so full of action.

jama said...

What a fun post. Love all the haiku and pictures. Had to laugh at the skeleton poem -- I do quite a lot of unintentional clicking and clacking myself.

Robyn Hood Black said...

Fightfully fun, Elaine - thanks for sharing! oooOOOOHHHHoooo....

GatheringBooks said...

Enjoyed the pictures and the eerie words that go along with it. Perfect for the season indeed! Loved the witch poem the most - hooray to peaked hats!