Friday, June 25, 2010

Things to Do If You Are a Lawnmower: An Original Poem


Two weeks ago, the subject of my Poetry Friday post was grass. I posted a poem by Valerie Worth, an original acrostic, and one of my list poems entitled Things to Do If You Are Grass. Today, I have another list poem about a piece of yard equipment whose roar is ubiquitous during the summertime.


THINGS TO DO IF YOU ARE A LAWNMOWER

Rev your engine.
Roar across the lawn.
Wake up neighbors
At the break of dawn.
Chew up the green grass,
Spit it out.
Rage and rumble and growl and shout.
Stop your squawking
When your work is done.
Leave the cut grass lying in the sun.
Cool down your motor,
Roll to the shed.
Rest your weary wheels—
It’s time for bed.

At Blue Rose Girls, I have a poem by Kim Addonzio entitled "What Do Women Want?"
The Poetry Friday Roundup is at The Art of Irreverence.

********************

I’ll be heading off for Washington DC tomorrow. I’ll be attending the Newbery/Caldecott Banquet at ALA. Grace Lin got tickets for the Blue Rose Girls. I’ll be sitting with them and with my poetry adviser Janet Wong. We BRG will probably be wearing blue roses—just as we did at Grace’s wedding.

My Husband & I at Grace Lin's Wedding
(See the blue rose?)

If you'd like to see what I'll be wearing to the Newbery/Caldecott Banquet, check out my post Three Dresses and a Wedding.

9 comments:

Bridget R. Wilson said...

Great poem, Elaine! I can't wait til you get your "Things To Do If" collection published. I really enjoy all the poems you've shared from it.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Bridget,

Thanks! I'm reworking my "Things to Do" collection. I've eliminated a number of the earlier poems and added several new ones. The collection has a different focus now. I think I'm almost finished with it. I need to get a critique from my poetry adviser--Janet Wong. I'll be seeing her this weekend in Washington.

jama said...

Great lawnmower poem! I, too, have enjoyed all your "Things to Do" poems. Have fun with Janet and the BRG at ALA!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Jama,

I was hoping it wasn't going to be blistering hot in DC this weekend--but it looks like temps will be well into the nineties...unfortunately. Still, I'm sure we BRG and Janet will have a grand time together celebrating Grace's success!

Anonymous said...

Have so much fun in D.C. with everyone. I loved this poem...and can't waith for the book to come out.

Elaine Magliaro said...

maclibrary,

I have a feeling that my first book of poems will probably be published posthumously!

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Elaine I love that lawn mower poem! Mowing is one of my favorite chores. I just bought a new electric mower last month.

I am not getting to DC until Monday, just in time for the Poetry Blast. I hope I get to chat with you! I am so sorry to miss the banquet on Sunday. I'll be celebrating & thinking of you all!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Andi--

Mowing the lawn is one of my favorite activities now--but I have an old-fashioned push mower. Great exercise for me. It takes me two days to do the lawn.

I'm sorry I won't have the opportunity to meet you in DC. I'm leaving on Monday morning. I have a long train ride home to Boston.

Mary Lee said...

Ha! Grass poem followed by lawnmower poem!

Missed you at ALA. Definitely planning to meet at NCTE!