Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Scenes from ALA

I traveled down to DC by train on Saturday. I arrived at Union Station around 3:15 pm. It was 100 degrees! Not exactly sightseeing weather. I went to my hotel room, relaxed, and waited for my roommates--Janet Wong and her mother--to arrive.

I call Janet my poetry adviser. She is always there to give me help and advice whenever I ask for it. In addition, she is one of my favorite people in the world. We always have good times when we're together.

Saturday evening Janet and I joined the rest of the Blue Rose Girls and some other folks at Busboys and Poets for dinner.


Here are some of the pictures I took while in DC:


At Busboys & Poets

Alex, Grace, & I

Janet & Alvina

At the Newbery/Caldecott Banquet

Grace & Alvina
Rebecca (Grace's agent), Grace, & Alvina
The Blue Rose Girls
From L to R
Anna Alter, Libby Koponen, Grace, Meghan McCarthy, Alvina, & I

One of the best parts of the "big event" was getting to meet some of my favorite kidlit bloggers in person. It was like greeting old friends. I was so excited! Grace also brought Joyce Sidman over to meet me. Grace knows how much I love Joyce's poetry.

Some of My Blogging Buddies
L to R
Pam Coughlan & Tanita Davis

Laura Salas, Kelly Fineman, & Sara Lewis Holmes

Here I am having a good laugh with Tanita Davis, Laura, & Kelly
Joyce Sidman (one of my poetry idols) with Kelly

Laura & I


And the Best Part of All:
Grace accepting her Newbery Honor Award!!!!!


P. S. The black dress I wore was perfect (You can see some pictures of it here). It was lightweight and comfortable. But the snazzy high heels I wore with it killed my feet. It's a good thing I brought some black sandals along with me. I put them on at the end of the evening.

6 comments:

Linda said...

Oh, it looks like so much fun! I'm so glad you got to go to ALA. It's on my list to do someday. It must be a thrill to hang out with poetry greats like Janet and Joyce. I'd also really love to meet you and Laura in person someday. You all look so beautiful!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Linda,

It was great fun--despite the weather.

Janet has been a tremendous help to me. I can always count on her advice.

I'm looking forward to Joyce's next book DARK EMPEROR AND OTHER POEMS OF THE NIGHT. I think it will be out in September.

Anna Alter said...

You looked gorgeous Elaine! I'm glad we got to go together.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Thanks, Anna. I was lucky to sit next to you both nights. It was such fun being with Janet Wong and all the BRG to celebrate Grace's Newbery Honor at the banquet.

BTW, the Larabar was really good. I'm going to see if the health food store in my town carries them.
It's great that they have no flour, sugar, or additives.
I bet Mike would take some of the bars when he goes hiking in NH in the fall.

Janet Wong said...

Elaine, you make the BEST roommate...and next time I share a room with you, I will make sure to bring clothes that need ironing! (If there were a World Cup competition in ironing, I would bet good money on Elaine for the GOLD.)

Elaine Magliaro said...

Janet,

Thanks for letting me stay with you in DC. I always have fun when we get together. And thanks for all your poetry advice!

If there were a World Cup for eating potato chips, I'm sure you'd be the odds on favorite to win.