Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Black History Month: Book Lists & Other Resources

I thought I'd post my list of resources for Black History Month early this year.

Book Lists


Other Resources for Black History Month



From Wild Rose Reader
Following are links to some of my previous posts at Wild Rose Reader that include recommendations and reviews of poetry books and picture book biographies for Black History Month:

Edited to add: More Books & Resources for Black History Month 2010 (Wild Rose Reader)

********************


Here is a cento I wrote in the voice of Harriet Tubman for Black History Month in 2008. In the cento, I used only the titles of books written by African American authors or books about the African American experience…with one exception—Come with Me, a book of poems that was written by Naomi Shihab Nye. (I’ve printed the book titles in italics in my poem.)
**********
A Cento for Harriet Tubman
by Elaine Magliaro
Hush,
My Brown Angels,
Listen to The Distant Talking Drum.
Hear it Spin a Soft Black Song
Under the Quilt of Night.
I’m Only Passing Through,
Goin’ Someplace Special
To The Other Side
Where there’s A Sweet Smell of Roses
And Freedom Like Sunlight.
I’ve Seen the Promised Land
A place for All the Colors of the Race.
Now Is Your Time
To be Freedom Walkers.
Follow me on The Road North
To Liberty Street.
Come with Me
To The Other Side
Where we will Make a Joyful Sound.
We will Lift Every Voice and Sing
Sing to the Sun.
Sing Free at Last!
***************
THE BOOKS
Hush by Jacqueline Woodson
Brown Angels by Walter Dean Myers
The Distant Talking Drum by Isaac Olaleye
Spin a Soft Black Song by Nikki Giovanni
Under the Quilt of Night by Deborah Hopkinson
Only Passing Through by Anne Rockwell
Goin’ Someplace Special by Patricia C. Mckissack
The Other Side by Angela Johnson
A Sweet Smell of Roses by Angela Johnson
Freedom Like Sunlight by J. Patrick Lewis
I’ve Seen the Promised Land by Walter Dean Myers
All the Colors of the Race by Arnold Adoff
Now Is Your Time! by Walter Dean Myers
Freedom Walkers by Russell Freedman
The Road North by Bettye Stroud
Liberty Street by Candice F. Ransom
Come with Me by Naomi Shihab Nye
The Other Side by Jacqueline Woodson
Make a Joyful Sound: Poems for Children by African-American Poets edited by Deborah Slier
Lift Every Voice and Sing by James Weldon Johnson
Sing to the Sun by Ashley Bryan
Free at Last! By Doreen Rappaport

5 comments:

Natasha @ Maw Books said...

What a fantastic resource! I've enjoyed reading books for Black History Month every February and I'll be coming back to this post again and again.

Sandra said...

I'm bookmarking this page. What a great list of sources for books on this subject. And I really liked your poem using titles- it's so smooth, it's brilliant. Glad I found you.

laurasalas said...

Elaine, fabulous cento! You added so few extra words, yet it reads like a completely original poem. Wow!

Anonymous said...

What a great resource!

Anonymous said...

Best prise for generic cozaar professional
[url=http://buycozaar.groupsite.com]Buy Cozaar [/url] cozaar pills cost comprar cozaar generico generic cozaar in us [url=http://my.opera.com/BuyCozaar/blog/2010/08/03/buy-cozaar-online-buy-cheap-losartan-25-50-100mg-0-69-per-pill]Buy Cozaar Online[/url] cheap geneirc cozaar 100 paypal to buy cozaar generic cozaar manufacturer [url=http://my.speedtv.com/buycozaaronline]best buy generic cozaar canada use
[/url] buy cozaar in mexico buying cozaar online vs doctor prescription generic cozaar from canada cozaar cheapest price
buy cozaar canada review cozaar scams buy online generic cozaar wholesale 100mg discount generic cozaar panama
cozaar cheap less cheap geneirc cozaar 50 cents buy 100 mg cozaar buy cozaar in germany
http://buycozaar.groupsite.com buy cozaar online inurl buy cozaar pay with paypal help buying cozaar http://my.opera.com/BuyCozaar/blog/2010/08/03/buy-cozaar-online-buy-cheap-losartan-25-50-100mg-0-69-per-pill buy cozaar in australia buy chinese herbal cozaar duro generic cozaar legal http://my.speedtv.com/buycozaaronline cheap geneirc cozaar 50 cents new life generic cozaar overnight cheap cozaar