Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Biographies for Kids

I did an extensive unit on biographies when I was teaching elementary school. One year, I had a second grade girl who got so hooked on the genre that she read eight biographies—even though she was only required to read one!


From my years working as an elementary teacher and later as a school librarian, I learned that some kids enjoy reading nonfiction more than fiction. With that in mind, I thought that I’d provide links to lists of biographies for children as well as links to reviews of some of the picture book biographies that I’ve posted previously at Wild Rose Reader and Blue Rose Girls.



Biography Book Lists & Reviews

Reviews of Picture Book Biographies from Wild Rose Reader & Blue Rose Girls
A Little Extra

2 comments:

Susan T. said...

Thanks for these resources here, Elaine. Very helpful. I tweeted the link to this post.

I'm looking forward to reading Chris Barton's picture-book bio of the Day-Glo Brothers.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Susan,

I read about Chris's book at 7-Imp the other day. it sounds like a terrific book. I learned a lot from reading children's biographies and other nonfiction books when I was a teacher and librarian.