Friday, December 12, 2008

Poetry Friday: Christmas Acrostics

I thought I'd write a few holiday-themed acrostics for this Poetry Friday in December.


Wrapped around itself,

Red-ribboned

Evergreen, fragrant of winter forests,

Adorned with berries, baubles, bells of gold,

Tacked to the front door...

Home for the holidays.





Trimmed with tinsel, bedecked with shiny bulbs,

Ribboned with red satin, strung with bright lights—

Each twinkling like an earthbound star in an

Evergreen sky.




Santa snaps the reins. Red-nosed Rudolph

Leads the team of reindeer this early winter

Eve. Up, up

Into the sky with a cargo of Christmas

Gifts and goodies they rise, weaving through clouds. Can you

Hear the merry jingle of their silver bells?





********************


At Blue Rose Girls, I have a poem by Russell Libby entitled Applied Geometry.

The Poetry Friday Roundup is at Wild Rose Reader this week. Click here and leave a comment with the URL of your poetry post.

11 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jama said...

Oh, I love these, Elaine. The snap of Santa's reins, and the sleigh weaving through the clouds. "Each twinkling like an earthbound star . . ." Beautiful images. Perfect!

laurasalas said...

Ooh, I love acrostics! These are terrific. Wreath is my favorite. But the two E lines of Tree...wow.

Myth said...

yup, I vote with the others - they are all nice, but the Tree one is really special!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Jama, Laura, & Schelle--

Thanks for commenting. I'm glad you liked the holiday acrostics.

Kelly Polark said...

Wonderfully festive acrostics!

Vivian Mahoney said...

I can just picture little children shouting out, "Yes! Yes!" to your SLEIGH poem. Lovely poems!

Unknown said...

Home for the Holidays is a fantastic ending line to WREATH:)
I also love your use of Ribboned....
Thank you so much for sharing.

Mary Lee said...

Great acrostics! Perfect to read after an early morning round of candy making. The festive smell of chocolate is in the air and I'm now filled with anticipation for the purchase and decoration of our tree!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Kelly, Vivian, Jill, & Mary Lee--

Thanks for stopping by and commenting. No smell of chocolate around here yet. I'll be making pierogis--one of our traditional Christmas Eve foods--with the ladies in my family at my house on Sunday.

Anonymous said...

Good Afternoon!!! wildrosereader.blogspot.com is one of the most outstanding resourceful websites of its kind. I enjoy reading it every day. wildrosereader.blogspot.com rocks!