Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Buy Books for the Holidays: Book Lists



What's a better gift for a child than a great book? I give children's books as presents for all occasions. I've already started purchasing gift books for Christmas. Why not join those of us who are making a commitment to purchase books this holiday season? Do check out the Buy Books for the Holidays site to find out more about this initiative.


I've compiled a list of notable and best book lists for children in case some of you might like suggestions for excellent kids' books that will make the perfect present for a special child in your life. You might also consider buying books to donate to a school class, school library, shelter, hospital, or charitable organizations that help out families in need.
Note: Last year my husband and I adopted two DSS families in Massachusetts for Christmas. In addition to the requested toys and clothing, we got the families lots of great children's books.
*********************
LINKS TO BOOK LISTS



8 comments:

KyleeJ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KyleeJ said...

I plan on making the most of these lists. I found you through the Buy Books for the Holidays site and put you in my Bloglines. Thank you so much for compiling these lists! It will make shopping easier for me. (shopping for 2 year olds to a 14 year old)

Terry Doherty said...

I love the idea of buying books for a school library. It's a gift that will reach so many kids.

Jen Robinson said...

Thanks for the resources, Elaine. This is great stuff. I'll certainly be buying people books for the holidays. I also always donate a big pile of my non-ARC review books to a local program that distributes them to kids in need. I agree with you 100% about how important it is to give kids books for the holidays, and every other time.

Anonymous said...

I love lists! Thanks so much for putting these up!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Kylee, Terry, Jen, Natasha--

I do hope the lists will be helpful. I'd like to add some more suggestions for holiday and winter-themed books--if I get around to it.

Jake said...

Oh, man... I usually get my children's books through BookSwim because we can just return them after reading them once instead of having them clutter the house, but you make a good point about donating the once-read books to charity. Maybe I'll buy my kids a few extra books for Xmas this year.

Anonymous said...

I truly believe that we have reached the point where technology has become one with our society, and I am fairly certain that we have passed the point of no return in our relationship with technology.


I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Societal concerns aside... I just hope that as memory gets cheaper, the possibility of uploading our brains onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's a fantasy that I dream about every once in a while.


(Posted on Nintendo DS running [url=http://kwstar88.zoomshare.com/2.shtml]R4 SDHC[/url] DS TF3)