Friday, June 8, 2007

A Poem for MotherReader & Her 48 Hour Readers

I feel like a slug because I haven’t signed up for MotherReader’s 48 Hour Book Challenge. I recently made it one of my “summer goals” to finish a manuscript of animal mask poems that I began working on in May. I know that according to the calendar summer has not yet officially arrived—but I am going to have my own personal Wild Rose Reader 48 Hour Poetry Writing Challenge this weekend. I have fourteen poems (five old poems and nine new ones) for my collection in final draft form. I’d like to write and polish at least six more poems by Monday. Wish me luck.

I am dedicating a poem that I wrote for my daughter and put in a memory book for her when she graduated from high school in 1998 to Mother Reader and Her 48 Hour Readers. My daughter loved the memory book so much she took it away to college with her.


A BOOK AND A CHAIR
by Elaine Magliaro

A book and a chair
Are nice to share
When the edges of day
Have melted away
Into the night.

A book and a chair
Are nice to share—
Touching and talking,
Reading and rocking
Into the night.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Elaine,

Thanks for the Mary Ann Hoberman book! I received it today--I love it when the postal carrier brings good books in the mail!

Laura

Elaine Magliaro said...

Laura,

I'm glad the book arrived so soon. I hope you enjoy it!

Michele said...

Nice poem !

We can be slugs together Elaine - I didn't sign up for the 48 Hour Book Challenge either... I'm planning to spend a serious chunk of this weekend finishing chapter 3 of my latest "Doctor Who" story instead as I've written nothing since last Sunday owing to work stress sucking all the creativity out of me !

Elaine Magliaro said...

Michele,

I'm an expert at procrastinating. I thought if I gave myself a challenge--and made it public--it would force me to concentrate my energies on completing the poetry collection.

Good luck with chapter 3 of your "Doctor Who" story!

MotherReader said...

Sorry it took me so long to see your post. I've been a bit tied up. Very sweet poem and perfect for 48 HBC. Thanks for the dedication.

Elaine Magliaro said...

MotherReader,

I'd say your weekend had you "tied up" just a tad. I did my writing this weekend...and plan to do my reading next week when we'll be on vacation in Vermont.

Anonymous said...

Hi Elaine,

I love the Book and A Chair poem. Thanks for sharing it!